PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
If anyone hasn't seen this movie yet, it's a masterpiece. And hell of a great movie poster too. I watched it again tonight for about the 5th time. I think it's on Netflix or Hulu.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great movie. I have the DVD and have watched it 3 or 4 times now.
Since I cannot stand to watch violence and bloodshed, I guess I won't be watching this movie.
This is really not a violent movie Hobie...aside from one or two scenes. As for the issue of violence in movies in general, it’s often necessary and appropriate to tell the story...because it’s part of the unfortunate reality of the human condition that it does no good to ignore imo. But when it’s gratuitous violence just to entertain those who want to see that, then I would agree with you.
Also I would agree that lot of movie violence has become too graphic and gratuitous even in otherwise well done films, and audiences have become too desensitized to it.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
brian64: agree on all. Same with sex. I started watching a program and within five minutes they're doing it doggie style. Too lazy to write five minutes of decent material.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Same with sex. I started watching a program and within five minutes they're doing it doggie style. Too lazy to write five minutes of decent material.
Crude is too often the prevailing style these days. Everything is being reduced to the lowest common denominator.
In the case of both violence and sex, a more sophisticated approach by a skilled director (and/or writer) who knows how to engage the imagination of the audience is usually much more effective than being overly graphic.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Cheap sensationalism is what tv and movies is about, so they try to get their attention by showing a new image every second( started with MTV videos) in the trailer with high drama/violence to keep the Sheeple saying OMG, OMG, , etc. There's something really wrong with a society that enjoys graphic violence and murder.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Cheap sensationalism is what tv and movies is about, so they try to get their attention by showing a new image every second
I would agree that applies to probably most movies these days, but there have still been some real gems made over the last couple of decades, and TWBB is definitely one of them.
Probably the main reason why the story itself doesn’t matter much anymore is because the attention span of the average person is so short now. Especially younger people who have grown up being conditioned by constant camera movement and rapid scene changes. I can’t even look at that kind of crap, which is one of the reasons I don’t watch TV.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Cheap sensationalism is what tv and movies is about, so they try to get their attention by showing a new image every second
I would agree to an extent, but there is a difference between glorified violence and violence integral to a story. There are movies and there are films. There is just as much, if not more violence in Schindler's List than there is in Predator.
I was bummed to hear of DDL's retirement from acting, but I get it. Why risk ruining such a long and spotless catalogue of work. Especially these days where the good roles are in such short supply with the money going to Transformers and comic book movies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
You'll have to get them on demand. Salem & Tudors come to mind. I love western history, too. Love Deadwood History, but couldn't get past the pilot of the program. Not so much a prude, well maybe I am, but it gets to a point vulgarity is annoying.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
There's something really wrong with a society that enjoys graphic violence and murder.
Hells fire, that's not a society, that's my home town. Dip shits shootin each other every week in a town of less than 40,000 people...

Status
Not open for further replies.