PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey there! After many years of searching - and getting skunked - we finally found a good spot!
This represents a half-day of blood, sweat and tears ... which ended in WHOOOOOP!!!
goldpan-600x247.jpg

Any other prospecting pipe smokers??

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do a bit of panning now and then, mostly up around Eagle, AK and Dawson City, Yukon Territory. I like to work the tailing piles from the old dredges. The dredges weren't too efficient back in those days.
I also work the culverts under the roads in the gold country. State built and maintained riffle boxes is what they are.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice country for gold Warren!
I always metal detect around the old header / tailing piles in the areas I'm drywashing.
Culverts are great ... gotta check after mild water flow though as they are self-clearing in fast water.
Any nuggets or nice "pickers" you can post?

As a kid, my father would take us all to Tennessee to pan for gold. We'd camp and spend all day panning... :::cough, cough::: he would pan; I would just play, LOL.

I have thought about taking my girls panning, but we've found a string of old Tiffany mines in NC that I love to camp at and mine for rubies. It's always kept the girls' interest better than panning kept mine when I was that age. And, we've come away with bags of rubies to cut. I still have a few boxes of rough that I need to get cut, or teach my girls to do it.
Looks like a good score, cobguy. You might even be able to size up a ring with that.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Cob: One of the beauties of Alaska is that there are very few creeks that won't show a bit of color. I can take VFR (visiting friends and relatives) out and about, shovel up a pan load and get color. I suspect that's very much like the Sierras. It's every where and finding it is mostly technique with a bit of luck.
Spring break-up makes the culverts very profitable every year. The payoff was dragging a bit of gold into Dawson and swapping gold for cash at the same counter, using the same scales, that Robert Service worked at. "Jeweler's gold" isn't something I run into very often any more. It's there, one just needs a bit less age than I am carrying to get closer to the sources. I don't do slopes very well these days.
Now that you've got me thinking and writing about it, I just might have to get a bit more serious this year. The price is right after all!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Curious what that bit of gold in the pan is worth in today's market?
It's around 1/7th of an ounce so approx. $186 at today's rates.
I have thought about taking my girls panning, but we've found a string of old Tiffany mines in NC that I love to camp at and mine for rubies
That's fantastic Cosmic! Great family activity out in nature.
Congrats! It's always a thrill to see the yellow flash the pan
Thanks Pyro! There was a lot of hunting prior to the finding!
One of the beauties of Alaska is that there are very few creeks that won't show a bit of color
Yeah, yeah ... rub it in!! That's really neat that you were able to see the original "Bard of the Yukon" Scales!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just mug the old people here in Florida and rip the gold out of their teeth, way easier than prospecting.
To get the price of gold, take today's price of 1302.00 and divide by 31.1 which is the number of grams to a troy ounce. So at 1302.00 24kt gold is worth 41.86 per gram.
If you want to figure out what 18kt gold is worth, take the 1302.00 times .750(18kt) then divide by 31.1 gives you the price for 18KT.
If you want the price of 14Kt multiply 1302 times .585(14KT) then divide by 31.1.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Wow. Love that pan. Love those gold shows on DC and can certainly understand how one catches Gold Fever.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I can only imagine the feeling of puffing on a good pipe and panning for gold in the wilderness. I bet that was some good times. Kudos!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Heading out first thing in the morning to go back to that spot for 3 days.

Just made 3 pounds of homemade beef jerky to live on. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.