Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I searched the Forum to see if this this had already been posted but it does not appear so. If it has, I apologize for the duplication.
I came across this interesting dissertation on theology and pipe smoking by James Stambaugh. The article(s) contain many interesting thoughts on theology and pipe smoking, brief biographies of famous pipe smoking theologians, notes on various tobaccos, poems, and links to other related resources you may find noteworthy.
There are three parts, and an appendix.
Theology and Pipe Smoking: Meditations on the Queen of Sciences and the Noble Weed, in Three Parts
Theology and Pipe Smoking, Part II: Miscellanies both Theological and Liturgical

Theology and Pipe Smoking, Part III: Resources
Appendix to the Theology and Pipe Smoking Series: Pipe Smoking, Literature, & Art
I found it interesting; I hope you do too.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
coniejm wrote: "There are three parts..."
Of course! Three in one, one in three! :lol:
I was really enjoying the article, but for some reason was not able to access Part II or Part III. I will try again later. Very interesting so far. Thanks for sharing it.

May 31, 2012
(I wasn't able to access III or II either?)
Awesome thanks for sharing,

this will be an excellent companion to one of my faves,

Toward a Theology of Pipesmoking by Arthur D. Yunker

which he has as a pdf on the resources page.
Most excellent.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I had the same issue with the navigation within the article itself. That is why I put all four links in my post; the URLs I provided should help.

Jan 8, 2013
All three parts work. The third is kinda like an addition reading list. Very cool. I'm not a church heavy kind of guy, but this is a fun read, thanks conlejm.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Google "Toward a Theology of Pipesmoking" by Arthur D. Yunker and you can download a PDF of the booklet referred to in the above article. Apparently a rather humorous work by a seminarian of 40 years ago. If you print it out be warned that it is over 70 pages. It will be my pipe time reading this evening. Time to go home and start!

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for the links. The site says the three were former Pentecostals who've migrated to the Episcopalian persuasion. Good to see some former fundies loosen up with a pipe and a beer!
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
He has an interesting variation on the pipe retort using vinegar and baking soda. Mix ingredients in the bowl, cover with your thumb and shake. (keep pointed away from clothing and friends)

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I was reading something like this not long ago, and have lost it. Thanks for the links!

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
He has an interesting variation on the pipe retort using vinegar and baking soda. Mix ingredients in the bowl, cover with your thumb and shake. (keep pointed away from clothing and friends)
Definite possibilities for people not in those categories :).

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I hated tobacco. I could have almost lent my support to any institution that had for its object the putting of tobacco smokers to death…I now feel that smoking in moderation is a comfortable and laudable practice, and is productive of good. There is no more harm in a pipe than in a cup of tea. You may poison yourself by drinking too much green tea, and kill yourself by eating too many beefsteaks. For my part, I consider that tobacco, in moderation, is a sweetener and equalizer of the temper.
- Thomas Henry Huxley
Here is another article with some mediations on the spiritual aspects of smoking. Must be something to it. If I recall, some of our Native American tribes used smoking pipes in religious ceremonies.
Why smoke a pipe? Allow me to explain. You can have this:
Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/badcatholic/2012/01/how-and-why-to-smoke-a-pipe.html#ixzz37AUx5B6Z

Status
Not open for further replies.