PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I think almost everyone here has made a thread expressing there appreciation for the Cob, and this is just another to the pile, but I've recently really been seeing how amazing they really are. A cob wasn't my first pipe, but the first I bought a few years ago. I have two and have smoked them regularly as long as I've smoked pipes, actually more than any of my other few pipes that aren't Cobs. I consider my Brigham my best pipe, but I can't deny it that my cobs smoke better than anything.

I just had a simple bowl of PA and had 3 relights. I consistently have the least relights in my cobs, yes the bowls aren't very big on the Legend and Pride, but still, for the amount of tobacco I always have the fewest relights in them.

What I also love about them is if I'm going somewhere traveling or whatever, I can throw one in my pocket and not think twice about it. If it broke it would suck but its like $5. They're rustic, fairly durable, cheap and honestly smoke just about as good as anything else. Sometimes I get frustrated that I don't have the money to have more "real" pipes but recently I really don't care, the Cobs may be cheap and appear as a "beginner pipe" but at the end of the day there is nothing to be ashamed about with them, haha.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I agree with you. Actually I wish I had bought a Brigham and a couple cobs when I first started out. I think my experience when I was starting out would have been a lot better.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I agree as well... I have a bunch of mid range to upper range pipes and my cobs are just as good and for a fraction of the price.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'm still struggling with cobs - I know that I've got to slow down to get them to smoke cooler, but there's something about them that just makes me want to puff away! (I think I just am not crazy about a lot of relights).
I love the look and feel of them, and that's what I'm smoking on July 4th - good old American.

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
Thank to you, rothnh, I just received my grab bag of cobs last week and I had another that I bought a couple of years ago. They are great pipes. One of the ones that came in the grab bag actually has a fairly large bowl. I love them for clenching as I putz around doing stuff. They're light and the stem is soft and comfortable to munch on.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I really like my briars but I really enjoy the rough feel of a cob with a Virginia blend in it. That and a cup of coffee and I'm quite content.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
I'm still struggling with cobs - I know that I've got to slow down to get them to smoke cooler, but there's something about them that just makes me want to puff away! (I think I just am not crazy about a lot of relights).
I love the look and feel of them, and that's what I'm smoking on July 4th - good old American.
It may be the vinyl stem. I have found that once I piced up a forever stem, I started treating my cobs like a real pipe. And don't get me wrong, cobs rock, purely a joy to smoke and hella easy to buy in to, but the stems didn't work for me. Luckily I found a solution.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
"once I piced up a forever stem, I started treating my cobs like a real pipe"
javajunkie - thanks for the hint - I'll order a couple and give them a try.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Just ordered my "forever" stem, can't wait until it gets here. If I like it, I'll order them for my 2 other MMs.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
85580126-34ED-403A-B285-42202F8E5788-9953-000072EE795F440C_zpsf8b5d5b4.jpg
. Americana all the way. My Fourth of July Smoke.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Love the pics of those cobs, boys! I especially love yours tbradsim1. I will be joining all of you tomorrow when lighting up my cob.
I think everyone should have an MM cob in their rotation. They are very consistent and a pleasant smoke for me.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
OMG !!!! I went to look at my cobs to take a picture, took them apart - I HAD FORGOT TO PUT THE FILTERS IN !!!! What was I thinking ???? - no wonder they were hot !!!!! (I'm so embarassed, I need a drink to recover. Happy Fourth of July, everyone!)

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I have four MM cobs, three Legends and a Country Gent. They're great for a quick smoke while puttering around the workshop. No muss, no fuss, just a great smoke.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I like the look of the Legends the best, but the awesome thing about the Pride is they don't scorch your hand (not that you should be smoking that hot anyway, but my Legend tends to get hot fairly easily), you can grasp them nicely without thinking about it.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Since we are sharing. I picked these up about a month ago I think it was.
2013-06-18182148.jpg

I still haven't sat down and smoked the MacArthur Maybe that should be my July 4th smoke.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
There is elegance in simplicity. I have 2 gents with forever stems and I smoke them more than any other pipe. Low maintenance, simple, and great smokers.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I smoke the heck out of my cobs on weekends, allowing my briars to breath. Why do my cobs dedicated to aro's crack and swell? I don't smoke them any hotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.