PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The spiritual, intellectual and moral decline of society continues unabated. The yearly abomination known as "Black Friday" is truly a sickening display of sub-human behavior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0C8TDU1Ykc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxZmDwqg9BA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_LMQc2Z-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnhgk2hPP4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7klNQyyLpiA

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
There's an element of the McDonald's paradox here--everyone talks it down, and yet every year we're at it again. I worked at a Department store for two years, I had enough of their bullshit "SALE!!!"s to last me a lifetime.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I have never shopped on Black Friday, and don't intend to. I have yet to find a Christmas present worth fighting over.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Never shopped a Black Friday sale in my life. Forget sales....I'd pay extra to avoid all that bullshit!! Just sayin. :crazy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Never shopped a Black Friday sale in my life. Forget sales....I'd pay extra to avoid all that bullshit!! Just sayin. :crazy:

Jan 8, 2013
It's the same bull crap every year. Yet all the retail stores continue to do it every year despite the risk. Every year we see videos of grown adults acting like children or getting into brawls over these sales. Every year we see adults take from children in these sales. It's nothing new. It's all about the all mighty dollar.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
They can have it all. Nothing like showing your ass for the whole world to see. My opinion of those people is they didn't get beat enough when they were children so they wouldn't think of acting in such a manner. No discipline when they were young begets undisciplined adults. Such a sad indictment of our society.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Wish I had a link. A mall in KY....wasn't one or two people fighting, or taking from others, or scrambling for stuff. It reminded me of the fights in school where a 4-5 people were fighting at once, then come their 4-5 buddies for a brawl. Ah good times. The only one that bothered me was the kid. Even though it's isolated incidents...never EVER should that happen to a kid. I say we hand out Snickers to each person going into the madness of Black Friday.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Well, sure, Warren--but I continue to be repulsed by even the less extreme behaviour; encroaching on one of our most important cultural Holidays to draw folks in the service industry away from their families to peddle slightly-less-than-usually marked-up Chinese goods to sleep-deprived and badgery consumers.
Yeah, I understand that the retail workers have a choice, and that the retailers themselves are simply responding to their competitors and the market. But the whole affair is just so darned tacky!
This is all just words. I've already "voted with my feet", so to speak, and will continue to do so in future.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
encroaching on one of our most important cultural Holidays to draw folks in the service industry away from their families to peddle slightly-less-than-usually marked-up Chinese goods to sleep-deprived and badgery consumers.
It's funny, because it's true. Also, slightly sad...because it's true. My grandmother worked Walmart Thanksgiving night....never like that, especially when they essentially forced it on her.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
We Americans are known worldwide for our conspicuous consumption. A lot of people around the world depend on our continuing to be such. We do love our sales and deals. The sad part is that we have turned a day of thanksgiving into a holiday instead of what Lincoln wished it to be. Football, extravagant meals, shopping, movies, etc have watered down a special day of thanksgiving to a holiday.
Washington, D.C.

October 3, 1863
By the President of the United States of America.
A Proclamation.
The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.
Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the United States the Eighty-eighth.
By the President: Abraham Lincoln

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
My local B&M had a black friday sale yesterday. I arrived a couple of minutes prior to opening to get a primo spot in line. Unfortunately, an elderly couple (in their 90s, I guess) beat me there. The owner opened the shop and I swear I've never seen an old guy with a cane move so fast toward the pipe sale rack. Undeterred, I sprinted, leapt and tackled his 100 lb frame with textbook form. As he lay gasping for breath, I snatched the $5 off Dr. Grabow prize. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw his wife double around toward the tobacco. Prepared for such an event, I pulled my bear-sized can of mace and made short work of the threat. The last can of Mixture 79 was mine! During checkout, the owner was so impressed by my shopping prowess that he threw in a couple boxes of matches for free.
All in all, a very successful black friday!

Sep 18, 2015
@rhoadsi,

That's frickin Awesome! :twisted:

I don't do the BF thing never have never will. I am sure there are some deals to be had, is it worth it? not to me, I'm not a fan of crowds to start with and it kinda reminds me of a buddy who will drive 40 miles across town in rush hour traffic to save 2 cents a gallon for a tank of gas.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, sure, Warren--but I continue to be repulsed by even the less extreme behaviour; encroaching on one of our most important cultural Holidays to draw folks in the service industry away from their families to peddle slightly-less-than-usually marked-up Chinese goods to sleep-deprived and badgery consumers.
Yeah, I understand that the retail workers have a choice, and that the retailers themselves are simply responding to their competitors and the market. But the whole affair is just so darned tacky!
This is all just words. I've already "voted with my feet", so to speak, and will continue to do so in future.
+1
It's the hive brain aspect of it all that is abhorrent. Yes, the worst behavior is only a small percentage of people, but they are an expression/extension of the entire mob of mindless, consuming zombies. And sadly, these mobs of drooling "consumers" reflect on all of us as a society...even those of us who have enough self respect to not participate in "black friday", which is why it's offensive.
We Americans are known worldwide for our conspicuous consumption. A lot of people around the world depend on our continuing to be such.
Yes, that's about all we're known for now it seems. I always thought we were supposed to be about individuality, not mob behavior. And by those around the world depending on our consumption, you must mean the slave labor factories.
We used to actually manufacture stuff in this country...about the only thing manufactured here now is consent.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We are missing opportunities for Mr. Darwin's postulate, so I propose the following: Any adult persons engaged in fisticuffs will be taken to a backroom and be locked in. Both will be given 8" knives. Then the winner will be taken out back and shot. The average IQ in the area will have risen, as will manners.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Slave labor, non-slave labor, locally owned, international corporations, democracies, theocracies, monarchies, etc all depend on American spending. For a while longer anyway. Soon, even that will change and the US will become even more irrelevant in the big picture. No country, Rome, Great Britain, Greece or wherever enjoys too long a reign. We are on the downside of the curve and seem to have neither the desire nor the wherewithal to want to be a leading country. Financially the Chinese will soon become the world leader, he who has the money rules! China today is the US of the late eighteen hundreds. They'll have their day in the sun and then some other country will supplant them. We've had our run and now we get to sit on the sidelines, much like Great Britain or Japan does.
Living in the past or pining for it is a waste of time. The world moves on and those that do not move with it are doomed to sad, forlorn lives. Even marking time is costly, but wishing for the past to return is certainly not productive. By and large what most picture as the past is what they learned from movies and books. People lived hard, short lives. Children often died died before parents. Hours were long. The past was neither good nor bad, it just was. Same as the future is neither, it will be what people make it. Those that choose to participate will prosper, those that do not will not. So, either get on board or step out of the way, life is going on and it isn't stopping for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.