PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just watched the new documentary "The Wrecking Crew". This is the story about the studio musicians who recorded the album tracks for hundreds of hit records in the 60's and 70's. If you enjoy this era of music, this movie is a must see. The film is directed by the son of Tommy Tedesco, one of the guitar players in the group. He spent 19 years making the film and thanks to Kickstarter, was able to get it finished and released. The DVD will be released in the next few weeks. The film is amazing, from an era and times that will never be repeated, it really moved me and my wife.
http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/index.php
What is the Wrecking Crew?
The Wrecking Crew were a group of Studio Musicians in Los Angeles in the 60s who played on hits for the "Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. The amount of work that they were involved in was tremendous.
They were also involved in groups that I like to call, The Milli Vanilli's of the day. A producer would get the guys in and lay down some instrumental tracks. If it became a hit, they would record an album and put a group together to go on the road. This happened many times with groups like the Marketts, Routers, and T-Bones. The next day they would do the same thing and call it another name. Same musicians, but different group Name.
At the time the record industry was primarily in New York, London and Detroit in the late 50's and early 60s. Then there was a surge towards the mid-60s that pushed the recording to the west Coast. So these musicians were recording around the clock for a good 8 years. It's hey day for this group was in 1967 when the charts turned to the west.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
They were very impressive. If you haven't seen it already, you may also want to check out "Standing In The Shadows of Motown". A documentary about the "Funk Brothers", the backing band for groups like The Temptations, Diana Ross and The Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, Jackie Wilson, Marvin Gaye, etc.
The Wrecking Crew, The Funk Brothers and all of the other "Studio Musicians" just do not get enough credit for all that they did to make the superstars that we still enjoy listening to today.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have "Standing in the Shadows" of Mo-town in my Netflix Que. In a similar vein, last years "20 Feet from Stardom" is also outstanding.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been looking forward to this documentary for years. I was happy to learn that it has been completed. I remember Tommy and other LA studio musicians playing in the house band on Fernwood Tonight. Frank DeVol led Happy Kyne & The Mirth makers. Great fun.

Tommy was also a frequent contributor to Guitar Player Magazine in the 1970's. His sight reading abilities were legendary. Younger players will get quite an education from this film.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The drummer was on Fresh Air recently. It was a very interesting interview. I'll have to watch this on amazon because we don't have an art house and the theaters that will screen a popular indy are uncomfortable or will show it at 10:30 at night. 8O

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Looking forward to this one as well.

Interesting group, the wrecking crew........Its mind boggling the amount of music they put out. I read somewhere that Hal Blayne was the most recorded drummer ever. I believe that they did all the music on Pet Sounds as well, except for Brian Wilson playing a few bits. That album still sounds fresh even after all these years.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the heads up on this one Al...I look forward to seeing it. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Glen Campbell was once a member of the "crew". Is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.