PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The two do not co-exist. Zen and Rule Nine. The folks typing on phones, are mostly the culprits here I think. :mrgreen:
Edit: And now I notice that auto correct, won't let me type a lowercase I in the body of this post. Go figure.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I use a desktop PC and a Kindle Fire 10 for accessing the internet and mostly use the Kindle whilst contributing to the forum. At first it took a while to get the hang of writing using a virtual keyboard but I eventually got the hang of it and can now type pretty quickly with it. I personally find the auto correct function more of a hindrance than a help.
I've never used a 'phone for internet access and wouldn't even bother if I had one. I can perfectly understand why there are so many spelling and grammatical errors if having to type to a minute screen using an even smaller keyboard. That said, we are given a full ten minutes to proofread our input to check for any such errors, it's just a shame that many don't take advantage of this feature.
Stan, your 'proper grammer' reminds me of a recent post by another forum member chiding another member for his poor 'grammae' :rofl:
Life goes on....
Regards,
Jay.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I use a laptop also, so hitting the SHIFT key is easier to capitalize a letter than on a phone I guess. What ever the reason, referring to oneself as a lowercase I, is just lazy and makes a sentence hard to read. :crazy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
To be fair, there is a difference between spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes. The irony is still there, though.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I believe the main reason I don't make many mistakes while posting, is BECAUSE I use my phone. I'm very good at typing, but Swype (yes that's how it's spelled) with autocorrect to me is so much faster and easier.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The irony is still there, though."
Indeed it is along with a redundant comma after 'there' :roll:

"I just use the voice recognition on mine."

Are you being serious Duane? I never knew that technology had reached the humble 'phone 8O
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"With a phone..."
I wouldn't know. I'm still in the Dark Ages, shackled to this 10" x 14", 1 1/2 pound laptop like some sort of God damned animal.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Redundant comma? I don't believe that for one second. At best, I would see it as an optional stylistic difference. I believe it may be referred to as a "vocative comma", but it's been years since I finished Pedantry School.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm happier with my laptop. I don't want a big heavy smart phone that doesn't fit in a t-shirt pocket. I sit at my 16" laptop, off and on, for a combined, few hours every day. My phone is only for calling and texting, and it's very light and fits just fine in my shirt pocket.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I was being heavily tongue-in-cheek, Stan. I much prefer the laptop to a smart phone myself.
Damn, I forgot a counter eye-roll for Jay, so here it is: :roll:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I try and tend to use punctuation in a manner to convey my speaking style. I had a teacher who condoned, even encouraged my experiment, much to the chagrin of my Grandmother. My technical writing varies considerable to my conversational writing. It's a quirk I admit. Here... unless I'm writing specifically for Jay, in a shameful attempt to gain his approbation, I ah... er... try to write in my speaking voice. I try to do so while adhering to the common rules... stretching them no doubt and even outright violating them at times. I do strive for readability while doing so. And, I am sure it drives other, sometimes pedantic members, like myself... to drink. Or, at least, distraction.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I access the internet on my giant iPhone, my iPad mini, my 8 inch Windows tablet, my Surface Pro and 10 inch Kindle Fire. I do my best at spelling and grammar, but leave that for the technical reports I author. If I make a mistake on a forum I don't slit my wrists. I would encourage like minded restraint.

Status
Not open for further replies.