PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
With the recent cooler gloomy weather, and the slight change of color coming on in the trees, I've been getting into the Fall spirit, including the anticipation of my second-favorite holiday, Halloween. Last night, I watched "The Witch" on Netflix with Mrs. Lawdawg. It was excellent! The setting is colonial New England, in approximately the same era as the infamous Salem Witch Trials. If you like scary / suspenseful movies, then I definitely recommend watching The Witch.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I like Scooby doo movies , jinkies , yoicks and hey gang , lets split up

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I might have to check it out. I love this time of year, it's my absolute favorite as we cool off, the leaves begin to turn, pumpkin everything descends upon us and with the start of October brings all the good Halloween movies. Looking like this year, instead of 13 nights of Halloween, we're getting 31 nights of Halloween as the wife and I are getting geared up for probably one of my favorite of all times....Hocus Pocus, airing on October 1st!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Then you might want to stay away from my house on movie night Bluto :puffy: I should add that there are a few gruesome scenes in The Witch, just as a fair warning. It's a bit of a horror movie, but not an exceedingly graphic shocker / gross-out horror like some that have come out since the early 2000's.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I might have to check it out. I love this time of year, it's my absolute favorite as we cool off, the leaves begin to turn, pumpkin everything descends upon us and with the start of October brings all the good Halloween movies. Looking like this year, instead of 13 nights of Halloween, we're getting 31 nights of Halloween as the wife and I are getting geared up for probably one of my favorite of all times....Hocus Pocus, airing on October 1st!
I love Hocus Pocus too, and own it on DVD. I posted in another thread recently about a local tea shop business in my little town. It's in a historic home, and the couple that own the home and operate the business put on themed tea parties several times per month. They are both actors involved in local theater, so they dress up and put on quite the performance. I'm taking Mrs. Lawdawg to a Hocus-Pocus themed tea later this month. Very much looking forward to it!

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I don’t really associate Halloween movies with horror movies . I like lighter stuff in that gendre , some of the older movies , looking back , are so campy and poorly made its practically comedy now , like the original exorcist and young people go camping movies .
Scooby doo rubbed off on me from when I watched them with my kids growing up , from early cartoon to the later live action versions . Don’t be fooled , they are slick and well written if you know enough about the characterization and recurring jokes, real belly laughs .

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Normally I don't like modern horror movies.

Everything made after 1990 just seems too exaggerated, too childish, too produced and streamlined.
But The Witch stands out I think.

It got some creepingly scary moments.

I watched The Witch last year on HBO, it reminded me a little of The Wicker Man, how you don't fully understand what is going on till the very end, plus the lack of "horrible imagery" and cheap surprise scares. The story is what is dark and terror filled, not cheap shots to get a rise out of the audience. I also enjoy the Shyamalan style movies.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Speaking of comedy, I also will have to watch my classic Young Frankenstein. I do so love Marty Feldman's character...."blucher"
200w.webp

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Watched it a few years ago when it was first in theaters. Not a bad period piece. For Halloween I annually watch Trick 'r Treat.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
For Halloween I annually watch Trick 'r Treat
The one that came out a few years ago with the creepy little thing running around throughout the movie? That was a great Halloween movie!...There was also the lesser known movie made 80's that was not very good. I love Halloween theme movies but found The Witch boring and not very creative IMO, seemed alittle Blair Witch-ish to me.

pastorpiper

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
I might be the biggest Halloween scrooge. I absolutely hate the holiday. I don't hand out candy. I really dislike horror movies. I don't like to dabble or encourage the occult or horror. As a teen, I watched all of the ones in the day (Friday 13th, Texas Chainsaw, Nightmare on Elm Street etc.) but I honestly don't have the nerves for it now......and I've been steering my teen daughters away from the stuff. My sister had some pretty creepy things happen after her friends and her played with a Ouija board as teens. I also don't like haunted houses either. Not sure my heart could take it now-a-days.
But.....I'm in my 50's now and a Christian minister (and a codger as I smoke a cob and OTC 'baccy, ha, ha) so, take my fuddy-duddyness in that light. The holiday sure has grown in popularity over the last decade though.

pastorpiper

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
Have you ever posted something then go back and read it and think...."wow, I just sounded kind of preaching"?

I didn't want my post to sound like I'm judging other people or the post. It did sound that way....but that's not what I wanted. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.