The Winds of Change Are Blowing Smoke (Article by Fred Brown)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fred Brown's piece is a great synopsis of tobacco history, regulation, policy and public regard,

from the point of view of the pipe smoker. He's right on the mark with his quotes and examples,

and though a comprehensive piece in this context, it's a good, quick read and a pleasure, as well

as thoughtful and to the point. Don't miss this one -- fifteen minutes or less.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I wonder if the situation really breaks down along the lines of "Marijuana deemed good, now" and "Tobacco deemed evil, still." The fact that marijuana laws are becoming more lenient, may signal a broader change among the people for more openness, tolerance and common sense about the drugs we use and enjoy. Tobacco -- at least pipes and cigars -- could be beneficiaries if this is indeed part of a broader change.
This is just speculation, of course. Thoughts?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ahhh! You are looking for comments.
I read a considerable part of the article. The author has a very keen grasp of the obvious. While nothing earth shaking or new, he has dome a bit of research and pulled together information from various sources. So, kudos for that I guess.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Personally, I see a huge potential benefit for local tobacconists if they open their doors to the green bud as well as the brown leaf. There have been so many tobacco shops shut down over the past decade, and I would assume a similar skill set would be required to sell weed as is required to sell tobacco.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
MJ is a mind/mood altering product that has yet to be seriously investigated for its long term health hazards if any. By its very nature it is hard to consume MJ in the manner that a chain smoker can consume tobacco.

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
If you take a historical look at all vices over time you will see that they have become great cash cows for governments. Hence forth taxes! Whiskey, tea, tobacco, and yes even sex in some cultures. The only reason that other drugs---cocaine, heroin, opium are controlled substances is because the government could not regulated them as a taxable resource and make money off of them--- at least above the board. Once again if you have any vices or what the good folks of our society deem vices, you will be taxed and you will be made to feel like a turd in the punch bowl at the party! Once again history is repeating itself. Prohibition made a crap load of money for organized crime, drugs as well, marijuana as well. I guess that demon tobacco is next. Said tounge in cheek-----I dunno!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.