PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I have a tin of white knight that caused me some trouble. In fact, it came rather dry out of the tin and I took it on my vacation to south Italy where it is really hot. The smoking caused me problems. It burned like hell on my tongue and mouth. It burned really hot and despite that kept going out all the time. I took the tin in the bathroom and left it open while taking my showers. Repeated this two three times until the tobacco had a moisture content that I felt would be better. In fact the smoke improved considerably after that treatment. It still can be harsh on the palate and needs several matches but the taste is way better. I can understand that tongue bite and hot burning are symptoms of dry tobacco but that it would not stay lit surprised me. I figured the drier the more easy it would burn. Any insights in that?

BTW the shower method to rehydrate dry tobacco works like a charm for me!

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
If I had to guess I'd say it burned your tongue bacause you are used to smoking wet tobacco. I measured White Knight with a moisture meter and it was 18% which to me is near perfect. I like my tobacco to be between 12 and 18%. Most of the other tobaccos I have tested are between 36 and 42%. A tobacco with 18% moisture has to be smoked a lot slower than a 40% tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Whenever I have tobacco on the dry side, I pack a bowl, and blow warm breath through the pipe a few times and it brings the tobacco to the perfect moisture.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
To me, White Knight smokes best kind of on the dry side, but I did once get a tin that was FAR too dry, and it burned my tongue.
I re-hydrated it in a Tupperware bowl with a damp paper towel, and it got too damp, and it burned my tongue.
I let it sit for two weeks, tin closed, seal broken, and it smoked really well. I've just finished that tin, and really enjoyed it, but not so much as it's sister blend, BlackHouse.
My opinion, therefore, is that White Knight is really finicky, when it comes to moisture levels.
I like the leaving a tin open while showering idea, though. I've also had success with chasingembers' idea of blowing warm breath through the bowl.
Nonetheless, I find far more tobaccos too wet, as opposed to too dry.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
jitterbugdude - What is a moisture meter, and where would one find one?
The only way I've ever heard of estimating moisture levels was to weigh out some tobacco, microwave it until it was bone dry, weigh it again, and then do some math.
That process had the twin disadvantages of A) wasting tobacco and B) requiring math, to I've never tried it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
What is a moisture meter,and where would one find one?
I suppose if you wanted an accurate humidity reading, you could place a small terrarium, or humidor hygrometer within the tin. After smoking for a while, you just know by touch.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's kinda ironic that you can get bad juju when the tobacco is too moist, and also when it's too dry.
I can understand that tongue bite and hot burning are symptoms of dry tobacco but that it would not stay lit surprised me. I figured the drier the more easy it would burn. Any insights in that?
Those symptoms are much more prevalent with too moist a load.
Very dry tobacco not staying lit could be cadence or packing.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
RW, Moisture meters are used to measure the moisture content of bales of hay, tobacco and even wood. They are quite common. I have one very similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Wood-Moisture-Meter-Firewood-Damp-Tester-2-Pin-/190691095542?hash=item2c661333f6

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I suppose if you wanted an accurate humidity reading, you could place a small terrarium, or humidor hygrometer within the tin. After smoking for a while, you just know by touch.
Was thinking about such just yesterday, when I took a small amount of freshly opened MM 965 (which I hadn't had for 40 years) and microwaved it for 25 seconds. Dried perfectly, but not a recommended procedure.
Touch comes with a bit of learning, and when I re-took up the pipe, I way over moistened my tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Here's what I was thinking of.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Flukers-Reptile-Terrarium-Hygrometer-Humidity-Gauge-/181831546341?nav=SEARCH

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I use a moisture meter like the one I posted a link to. The one I use has 2 probes on it. I believe the theory is is measures resistance and uses a little computer program to convert the change in resistance to % moisture. These are used all the time in the Ag industry. I do not think the hygrometers will work as they measure humidity (vapor), which is different from moisture (liquid).
I use mine mostly for tobacco.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Dang. The above links to a thermometer, even though the search terms asked for moisture. This goes to something that might work for tobacco.
Here's what I was thinking of.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Flukers-Reptile-Terrarium-Hygrometer-Humidity-Gauge-/181831546341?nav=SEARCH
To my knowledge both of those meters measure the moisture in the air which wouldn't do you any good for measuring the moisture in tobacco. You need a moisture meter, such as the one jitter posted a link to, which has probes on it rather than an ambient air sensor.
Whoops! I see that jittter just basically pointed out the very same thing I did.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
When I first open the tin and tried it I wasn't a fan at all. It had a lot of bite. I set the tin aside for a couple of weeks and it dried out and improved a lot. It defiantly smokes better dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.