PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We've all read the jive: "Sitting in his comfortable chair, and thinking thoughts deeper than the Marianas Trench, he gently puffed on his pipe until it burned out, leaving a small pile of fine white ash."
I blame an early Faulkner biography for introducing this trope, which I thought was horse feces until today. Most ash is grey, uneven and usually not very fine.
But this last bowl of sliced 3P has lived up to the hype. It is ash like a fresh snowfall, which crumbles into dust at the touch and pours out of the bowl, both actually white and fine.
I'd also like to add that Peterson (or, by rumor, GH or another UK plug manufacturer) did a fantastic job with this blend. It's a slight pain in the ass to slice, rub 'n' load, but then it's a smooth rich flavor all the way. I think it also deserves credit for having more nicotine than most seem to attribute to it.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
I can achieve this with quite a few MacBaren tobacco's but particularly Original Choice and Vanilla Cream. Both often receive criticism for smoking hot, so the slower you can smoke them them the better.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it's nifty when it happens, with various blends. As I've often said, I don't pay any attention when it doesn't happen. The main event is the taste and smell, and a good even burn. The white ash experience is a pleasant plus.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
A wide enough bowl Grousemoor will do it. Penzance does (calm down!). Dobolones gets very fine, but not pure white. Must have a mixture of bowl size, tobacco quality, and cadence formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.