Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The "What Are You Smoking Thread...." Of course, some like it, some don't. I don't enter every bowl, but I often do. Since I am a moderate smoker, I'm not on there every day, but when I am, I always scroll back up through to see what others have posted. My curiosity is based on what blends are favored and who is smoking unusual, exotic, traditional, or blends distinctive in other ways. The pairing of pipes with blends is also of interest. It is also intriguing to see that some folks go from tub tobaccos to choicest blends. Of course, jiminks is the dean of the thread, and it is fascinating to track the variety and genres of his wide experience with blends and single leafs. I look at it as a pipe smoker, but I also fantasize as a would-be marketer, to see if I can discern emerging tastes, favorites, trends in genres, and the like. Some find the thread a labor to read and stay away, they say. But I am always interested and think it is pretty riveting. Are you a reader, and why or why not? What do you like best, or what do you not like. For me, it's like good people watching, always a treat.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I read everything everybody smokes in every forum I am on. I'm very interested in what others smoke, and there have been times I find my interest peeked by what I read, and thought "Maybe I should smoke that next?" or "Maybe I should try that?" It's a great internet cafe for somebody like me who doesn't have any pipe smokers around to chat with.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
For me, it's like good people watching, always a treat.
You hit it right on the head there my friend. It's like people watchin in a classy Wally-World... :rofl:

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I don't smoke that often but when I do and post it to the thread I always read from the top down. It is about the only thread that does not seem to quickly degenerate lately.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
As of late, I've been lurking/reading far more than posting, as I can't tell if I've offended the forum, or if tempers have been varied during the holidays (or, perhaps, just personal paranoia).
I read through the "What are you Smoking..." thread every other day or so, as I find the sheer volume of differences in blends, tobacco, and pipe choices fasinating; however, I don't post in that thread as often as I once did.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
When I visit here (rare) I'm a fan of it, and I like it on other pipe forums as well...but mostly I like seeing other guys pipes, some real beauties. I'm a big fan of Greg Peases Prince collection when he used to post them on forums.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I pop in to read and post very sporadically.
For the same reasons already listed.
Most often, I find something more interesting to read and write, though.
jay-roger.jpg

I used to post, for the first few years here, but twelve or so times a day, it got to be addictive,.. posting anyways. But, it did add a few thousand on my post count. I also enjoyed reading what folks were smoking and the pictures of pipes. But, it tied me to the forum for more time than I wanted to give. But... we see how that turned out.

Kudos to the What You Smokin' Threads. Good guys, sharing what they smoke. What could be bad with that?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I often wonder what some members here have been smoking.
And I'm pretty sure there are some here who often wonder what I've been smoking.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I read what other people are smoking with some interest, especially Jim who appears to be a one man incineration plant for surplus tobacco! I very rarely post since I smoke the same thing, Twist, Warrior or Condor Plug. On the odd occasions I post its because someone has sent me something interesting to try out with my dear friend Dave being the main culprit. I marvel at all the different flavors and brands that people try and just occasionally I am tempted to try something different out just to prove I am not a total curmudgeon.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't read the thread often or post very often in it. But I always enjoy it when I do. For some reason, most of the time I skip over it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I post when there's some free time and/or I have something interesting to say. I always read from the top down on the current page, that's usually interesting. But I've noticed that there are seldom any comments made on previous posts. I've always assumed that there is some unwritten code of conduct about that. "Thou shall not comment on thy neighbor's taste in tobacco".

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
I post in the thread every few days or so and read back a bit to see the different blends people are smoking. If you don't have friends that smoke a pipe or belong to a pipe club, the What Are You Smoking thread is the next best thing......

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I do click on the last page or so now and then but, I rarely post there anymore. My "usual suspects" were beginning to sound like a broken record.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Here I am posting on a thread about posting on a thread.
Reminds me of one of the first cartoons I ever thought was "deep" when I was 10 or so.
A stick figure painting a stick figure painting with the caption, "Last might I dreamed I was painting a picture of me painting a picture of me painting a picture of me painting...."
11.5 hours left central time!
jay-roger.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I post on that thread every time I light up and usually read the page I am posting to. I like seeing what everyone is smoking as it might me remind me of a blend that I have forgotten about or a blend that I might want to try. I also love seeing that smoking machine jaminks post every hour or so. He just needs to get his pipe pics up so we can see them.
I also enjoy seeing the pipes people post, I am a picture whore, can never see too many pipe pics.

Jul 12, 2011
I post and read the thread often - I often forgot what I have in the cellar so the thread sparks back up interest in something I might have not thought about smoking and I often rediscover favs again. I really do need to take an hour or two to catalog the dang cellar one day :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.