PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Just finishing up on another pipe from the Italian briar- probably one more pass with a little hand sanding to refine one edge that's annoying me. Just curious on what you guys think- I was going to do a three color stain, but when I have a piece of clean briar with nice grain, my tendency is to leave it natural.

kt381.jpg

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's really impressive, I say leave it natural, and I'm not a fan of natural pipes hut I think it would be a crime to cover that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it looked unfinished, you might think about stain, but this has so much color of its own,

it would be gilding the lily for sure. Especially inasmuch as once it is smoked regularly, it

will attain a deepened tone that will bring up the grain even more. What a unique shape.

This is really one of a kind. Knowing when something is done is the height of any art.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
+1 more for no stain, what a nice piece of briar. It should darken as it ages.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Sounds unanimous! ...and I really appreciate the advice- Nothing but Carnauba wax on this one- here's another shot that's actually closer to the real color...

1rau6g.jpg

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Lovely pipe! Hope to see your work progress as you make more pipes!
-Frank

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I am a big fan of natural, and that pipe is awesome just the way it is. The design and finish are absolutely beautiful, I wouldn't even think of staining it.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
You got lucky on that piece of briar with the grain and all, then made it sing with skill and aesthetic. WELL done, man! Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.