PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Like some others of us on the forums, I'm a bit of a dog lover. My current beast four-legged companion is a miniature pinscher named Connor, who will be turning 10 this fall. I've had him since he was eight weeks old, and I've enjoyed every minute of my time with him. Needless to say, watching him grow old has been a bittersweet experience. He's slowed down quite a bit in the last couple of years, gained weight, and developed arthritis in on hip. But surprisingly, things have changed for the better ever since Dad took up the pipe :)
I'm not allowed to smoke in the house, so while it's warm I've done most of my smoking outside. Three or four times a week I've loaded up a pipe and taken Connor out to the park behind our house. We spend a good hour or more out there - me, wandering around aimlessly while I puff away, and him, running around in the grass and trees. At first his running was limited to the first ten minutes or so of our time outside, but gradually his stamina has improved. He's lost a lot of weight, and you can tell he's moving around much more easily than before. Today I packed my big old Rossi freehand up and we spent almost two hours out there. The only time he stopped running was when he found an interesting smell that he just HAD to stop and investigate (and maybe add too lol).
I can't say if smoking a pipe has been any good for MY health, but it's certainly improved the health of my little boy :clap:
Connor_web_zpsda329234.jpg

Reactions: SaxonX

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It is so good to hear that your pup's health is improving, and that he is enjoying his days with you in the park.

Thanks for the pix. I've got a feeling the whole experience is good for you too!

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
He sure is a cute little boy. I sure miss my sarah she was 15 years old wheni had to put her down

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Nice little pooch. I'm on the front porch, now, with Larry. Larry is part, maybe pure?, cocker spaniel. Who knows? We got him from the shelter when he was about 9 months old. That was two years ago.
Though he lacks the capacity for abstract thought -- my other rescue, I'm pretty sure, does have the capacity for abstract thought -- he's a pretty good companion and the only one in the house who runs to the door to greet me when I come home from work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'furro, Connor looks like a deep thinker, and you are obviously in the process of extending his life by months

or years by getting him up and moving, and not coincidentally your own too! These little ones are "just

animals," and therefore we don't pay close attention when they weave their way into our hearts. We focus on

them just a few hours a day, but they study us nearly all the time and in some ways know more about us than

we know about ourselves. Now when Connor ascends to the great dog park in the sky, he will be most

impatient that you be supervised by another canine, though it may not seem right to you at the time. Look

at that face. Do you think he would approve of your lunting (walking with a pipe) with no dog? I don't think so.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Great news I got my Brat boy and think I would fight someone to the death over him faster then I would if some one wrecked in to my car

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
What a great thread! We have a cross-breed with a pelt that is so black and shiny that I would liken it to Black XX! She is a bit excitable and I swear that my pipe smoking calms her - psychotherapy for dogs! Like 85royals I would hurt anyone who deliberately hurt her. BTW my son, a trainee lawyer, has just returned from a internship with a lawyer in East Kentucky who said that people there have shot one another for abusing their dogs!!

Aug 14, 2012
Are the benefits from smoking or from exercise? Sounds like you are smoking and the dog is exercising. How has the trip to the park affected your health?

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I've got a feeling the whole experience is good for you too!
It's been good for both of us. I'm amazed at how much more I'm enjoying all of my time with Connor now that he's in better health. He's acting like a dog half his age. Although, I could sure do without the return of the classic min-pin stubbornness :roll:
Are the benefits from smoking or from exercise? Sounds like you are smoking and the dog is exercising. How has the trip to the park affected your health?
Oh, definitely from exercise, and yeah, mainly the dog benefits that way. I work in the flooring department at one of the big-box hardware stores. I get more than enough exercise each day with all the lifting and walking I do during my shift lol. As for how the trips to the park have affected my health, it's done wonders for me mentally and emotionally. Like several other forum members have noted, smoking my pipe gives me an hour or so of concentrated "me" time and has become almost a form of meditation for me. It helps me relax and I find that my relaxed state of mind carries through to the rest of the day.
And seeing a ten year old dog sprint full-tilt across the park for no more reason than the sheer joy of being able to do so, can't help but bring a smile to Dad's lips :D

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
My two dogs (ages 14 and 6), one a Lab mix, the other a Walker Coon hound are the light of my soul. They are delighted to go for a walk with me, pipe in hand/mouth and think that every time I pick up my pipe that they too, are off for a jaunt.
Your Connor is beautiful. Enjoy.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
it works the same way for people too. a little bit of exercise does wonders

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Great post kyriefurro! My girl is a 5 1/2 yr old retriever/pit mix. She's the most faithful companion one could hope for. She's not happy unless she's in the same room as me.
If anyone ever hurt her, they'd get a severe warning to get out of my sight before they receive the same treatment. While being a constant source of joy to me, it's bittersweet b/c I know, in all likelihood, I'll have to watch her die someday. Breaks my heart. That won't stop me from adding another one to the family when she's gone, if not before. I have my heart set on a Great Dane.
2012-11-16-200948-337x600.jpg

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
great lookin dog, ruotsi! I grew up with goldens, my parents now have a yellow lab/foxhound mix. My wife wants to get a dog for our son, who loves all dogs (even if they don't love him!). she wants a boxer pit mix. But that sure is a good lookin dog. I'll have to show her that pic

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Dogs are just the best; he's never too far away if I'm home and he's a good smoking buddy. I have to wear him out a little before I could ever have a relaxing walk unless he's free to roam. Life is always better with a dog.

581010_10151989194895037_2102448313_n.jpg

600111_10151989192880037_1690369006_n.jpg

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
pipingruotsi, your post and pic provoked me to post again. I never was a dog person till my son pestered me so much that we got one. She is 4 years old, cheeky but with not an aggressive bone in her sleek body. She is only completely happy when all the family (pack?) are at home. She sits at my feet as I smoke my pipe. I have a good camera but I haven't worked out yet how to post pictures. She has the blackest, shiniest coat I've ever seen. I don't know what I/we would ever do without her!

Status
Not open for further replies.