PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Reading recently a chapter on how the Whiteman was trying to control Native Americans by teaching them 'civilised' trades in the late 19th. century, one Native Indian decided to take up barbering.
When he was told he needed to splash out $120 on tools for the job he was aghast! He said "my grandfather was something of a barber back in the day but only needed one tool".
" what was that? " says matey.
"It was called a tomahawk" he replied.
I really laughed out loud when I read that.
Whether true or no I cannot say but it leaves one wondering.
Have a nice day :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The grandfather in question probably had customers who never needed a haircut again.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Stole their land, lied to them, killed them off by the thousands...can't say as I blame them for having a "bit of attitude"

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Quite right Tom, no repeat customers back in those places and times.
Some of the trades they tried to entice them into back then were so far removed from their own deep ingrained knowledge of their surroundings and their personal understanding of life quite boggles the mind.
As with the Hudson's Bay Company and the Inuit community way up north, the 'whiteman' knew 'best' and ultimately enslaved those folks into becoming near images of themselves. Their methods of hunting and trapping being forgotten and traded for goods the HBC had to offer at their trading posts.
Dog sleds for ski-doos was one that struck me most. Also the introduction of 'western' goods such as Kool Aid, Coca-Cola and regular candy bars meant most native Inuit kids were toothless come their teenage years!
All very sad methinks.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many kids from the Great Depression era lost their teeth early from lack of dental hygiene and inadequate nutrition. Teeth, even some teeth, are a luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.