PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
happy_family_crop-vi.jpg

What are the top five blends that you will never, ever smoke again (for any reason)?
1. 1Q: So that's what makes estate pipes smell so foul!
2. Molto Dolce: Is it a desert topping that tastes like tobacco, or tobacco with a desert topping?
3. Ennerdale: Tried it just so that I could say that I smoked a urinal cake.
4. Mystery Blend: from my scraps jar. Decided to smoke up my scraps jar this past winter. Perfection, yet of unknown composition and thusly completely unrepeatable. Water under the bridge
5. John Cotton's No.1 Cutter Top: Vintage late 1930's. I doubt any of this fine old reek will ever pass my way again.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
1. St Bruno

2. Clan

3. Several E A Carey's blends, vanilla flake being one

4. Peterson Nutty Cut

5. Several Peterson blends, Irish Wiskey being one

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never say never, but blends that haven't inspired a re-order: Regular Sir Walter Raleigh just doesn't deliver the burley flavor as well as most other burley leaf, though the SWR Aro with a little Virginia added and liquere flavoring is quite good to me. The 2010 Peterson Christmas blend seemed to be overloaded with cinnamon etc. that bit like a junkyard dog. LL-7 was a precipitous romance and I ordered a pound, but found the romance had died, so I gave it away. GLP Westminster is highly regarded by many, but the Lat doesn't hold up, so I prefer other English blends. And finally, MacBarens Navy Mixuture of about six different tobaccos, that I tried and tried to like, finally had more bite than flavor, so I let it go. A number of other blends I have enjoyed but might not reorder, just because there are so many excellent blends in competition. I don't know, but suspect, that this is THE golden age of pipe tobacco, never so many blends so well proportioned, cut, and in some cases flavored. We can afford to be fussy. There are probably a few codger blends that I could smoke happily from year to year, though I'd like a smidgen of variety, three or four anyway.

May 4, 2015
Hyde Park and Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey were the only blends in which I found NO redeeming qualities, and I've sampled hundreds. Those two can eff off and die.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
1-Q is a good one to note. I'll just smoke marshmallows instead.
But other, uh, really terrible tobaccos? I forget them, to be honest, because who cares.
But I would like to avoid Daughters & Ryan Three Sails, because it is a fake tribute to a great tobacco.
And maybe Frog Morton et al., just because the name reeks of nursery school.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Nah, just the cute name and the goofy art. It seems like something not for me.
Frogs, I like. Pepe and Gab included. But tree frogs most of all!

May 4, 2015
I quite like the art! Especially since it's done "in house," so to speak. It's cutesy I guess, but I think it's enjoyable. You're just a surly curmudgeon!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1) Stonehaven- too bland for my taste
2) Borum Riff- wanted to love it years ago for the nautical motif, but I decided I like not having a blistered tongue
3) Mephisto- just because it's no longer produced. Love that one. :crying:
4) Top Black Cherry- never dries enough
5) Blossom Temptation- great aromatic, just too hard to come by

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Any aromatic any sutlif any ennerdale. Frogs are good game blends are great Latakia blends Russ any Latakia. Shel

Status
Not open for further replies.