The top commercial pipe makers of all time.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm curious to know what in public opinion are the best five pipes makers of all times. No artisans, just the name brand pipes.
1. Dunhill. Seems highly sought and admired.

2. Peterson. A very large following with a wide base of limited additions

3. Comoy. Another highly sought brand.

4. Sasieni. Highly sought.

5. Savinelli. Sought after and great smokers in my opinion
Personal choice: Ehrlich. Can find cheap and great smokers.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Here's an Ehrlich I just picked up:

5GEtRGm.png

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Aside from Ehrlich, here are three more U.S. brands: Weber, Diebel and Jost's. The latter pair used a lot of GBD/Comoy's blanks but hand carved burners from Jost's were not unusual.
AF, my Comoy burners were hit and miss and I've got one Blue Riband left in my stable. GBD still figures well but sentiment factors heavily. My first pipe - forty years ago - was a GBD billiard that still smokes in my weekly rotation.
I've also got a pair of DGs that unfailingly deliver superb test drives of new tobaccos.
Go figure.
Fnord

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Missouri Meerschaum has to be somewhere in a top 10 list - long history, quite a unique product... And they still make a few thousand pipes per day!
Maybe it deserves the 5th spot.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I would lead with Stanwell and Savinelli in the number one position. They've been around for at least decades, they are very reasonably priced, offer some wonderful shapes abnd finishes, and they smoke as well as any of my few artisans and higher end factory pipes.
I would add Nerups and Peder Jeppesen to the list. His designs are Danish shapes are unique and his finishes incomparable and the pipes affordable. They smoke like high end pipes.
I also nominate Ben Wades by Preben Holmes. His free hand designs from the 70's fired the imagination of pipe artisans around the world.
I finish my list with Anne Julie creations. She has designed some of the most aesthetically pleasing works in the pipe world. I wish I could afford one of her pipes.

My favorites (style/cost/function), which might not necessarily be the most popular are;
Pre-Texas Hilsons

Stanwell

Radice

Celius

Savinelli
And, like Sable said, this list may shift for me, maybe even throughout the day, but the old Hilsons and Danish pipemakers tickle my smokebuds enough to be somewhere on my list at all times.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Commercial to me means sales and marketing. Units sold. Long term popularity. These days and in days bygone, companies bought companies and changed products, sometimes for the better.

From what I've learned, there has not been an equal to Alfred Dunhill as a marketer of pipes. At least some small part of that success has to do with product quality.

Units sold? How about Grabow and Missouri Meerschaum?

Best made briar in this class? That's where we get hazy.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
In no particular order:

Caminetto

Castello

Savinelli

Dunhill

Maybe Ashton or Radice
If you asked me this question 15 years ago I probably would have included Peterson in this list. I have a few and they smoke well but I don't think I would buy now.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
1. Dunhill. Seems highly sought and admired.

2. Peterson. A very large following with a wide base of limited additions

3. Comoy. Another highly sought brand.

4. Sasieni. Highly sought.

5. Savinelli. Sought after and great smokers in my opinion
I agree with your list and reasonings.
I'd aslo add an honorable mention to Missouri Meerschaum. They've been around since 1869, which is some staying power. They're still pumping out quality smokers at a very good price.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, you have, as the title says, "Top Commercial Pipemakers of All Time" and then you have "best pipe makers" in the body. They could mean very different things to some of us!
Top commercial? Peterson, Dunhill, Savinelli

Best? Barling, Charlatan, GBD
Then, on the third hand, you may have favorites that don't fit in either list necessarily. But an interesting topic for sure!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
daveg said it; Dr. Grabow is the last man standing in U.S. volume factory pipes. Kaywoodie, with Yello-Bole and Medico, and Edwards still seem to be in the hunt, but for consistently available, volume, and dependable lines, Dr. Grabow is the one. Their pipes, especially the slightly higher priced Royalton line, are a surprisingly good buy and perform well above the price mark. Every time I smoke either of my Dr. G's, I'm surprised; a $38 dollar pipe shouldn't smoke like a $200 pipe, but there they are. Savs, Stanwell, Chacom, BC, Genod, Vuillard, Nording, Ropp, and others are standard bearers from outside the U.S. And of course the cobs, MM and Old Dominion.

Status
Not open for further replies.