PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Being in the general area Saturday afternoon, I had to visit The Tobacconist of Greenwich, in Greenwich, Connecticut.
A nice place, with pipes and tobaccos prominent, although obviously secondary to the cigar inventory. And the cigars are top shelf: Davidoff, Avo, Padron Anniversarios, Diamond Crown, other high end Fuentes. (If you're going to sell cigars in Greenwich, Connecticut, that's what you do.)
Lots of pipes on display, including Barling and Comoy's. In tobaccos, they have a few Dunhill tins ($13 each), but mostly house blends sold by the ounce. I picked up two ounces of Old Greenwich, described by the proprietor as being the store's strongest English mixture. I smoked a bowl in a venerable Peterson 302, and I'd bet he is right about that!
If I understand correctly, seating/smoking is for club members (lockers are available), but the shop, located at 8 Havermeyer Place--just off I-95--definitely is worth visiting.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Briarfriar
I live right near Greenwich and visit often and I had no idea that there was a tobacconist in town.
That's amazing, especially for a PC place like Greenwich!
I will visit there on my next outing, maybe even tomorrow.
Thanks for the post.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Roth
You're right about their website, but since we are thinking of moving there, its good to see that someone smokes in that town!
When I walk around with my pipe, it looks like I'm the only one with a smoke plume.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Greenwich, being in Connecticut, has to be partial to cigars. Many people not from the area have no idea

that Connecticut is a tobacco growing state, like Virginia, Kentucky, and North Carolina, deep in New England

though it may be. And their specialty leafs are cigar tobaccos. Greenwich must be one of the highest income

cities in the nation. I had an aunt and uncle and cousins who lived there at one point in my uncle's career, and

when we visited, I was impressed. I would expect their cigar and pipe shop to be high end. I'd look for

Dunhills, Kaywoodies and Missouri Meerschaum not so much.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
It's nice to know there are some decent tobacconist in CT. I know there is one in Hartford and another in Enfield. I'm rarely in that part of the state but if I am I'll have to check the place out.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Briarfriar:
I just went over there this afternoon. Can't believe it was right next to Starbucks where my wife daughter and I had coffee. I mean, right next door on the side street!
Nice folks there, a place to sit and smoke (have to be a member). Small collection of pipes and tobacccos, but I did pick up 'Old Greenwich' (after all, how could I not, I was in Greenwich) which is a Lat blend with Va's, similar in style to EMP and 965.
Smokes pretty good.
Altbough I didn't ask, taxes seem much lower in Ct than in NY. I will be back.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.