The Tobacco Protest: We Can Learn From This!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Popular Iranian protest against the shah's granting of a monopoly to the British in the sale and export of tobacco. Led by religious scholars, merchants, liberal intellectuals, officers, and Islamic modernists, who encouraged resistance to economic concessions that could serve as a prelude to foreign rule. Smoking was prohibited, the bazaars were closed, and strikes and demonstrations were held. Religious legitimation was provided by Ayatollah Hasan al-Shirazi , a spokesman for the ulama, who issued a fatwa against smoking tobacco. Mosques offered sanctuary to protesters and served as centers of resistance and political organization.
http://www.oxfordislamicstudies.com/article/opr/t125/e2389
The answer, my friends, is that we need support from religious authorities. Being an utter failure at religion, although I would say devoutly religious, I am temporarily at a loss for how to proceed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing really to learn. In ten to twenty years, tobacco will be illegal world wide. Cellar while you can.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
so what, Marijuhana is also illegal in most parts of the world
Likely not for long. It and tobacco have been slowly changing roles for decades.
Which would make sense from the perspective of the social engineers. You would want to cultivate a less ambitious populace to coincide with de-industrialization and the erosion of the middle-class. Caffeine will likely be the next target.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
They're going to take my caffeine next?
I wonder if we can get support from the religious wing by talking up Presbyterian Mixture.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Nothing really to learn. In ten to twenty years, tobacco will be illegal world wide. Cellar while you can.
You might be right. And to think, we have a vendor who unabashedly supports those who support this.

jakecobb

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2017
Los Angeles, California
The answer, my friends, is that we need support from religious authorities. Being an utter failure at religion, although I would say devoutly religious, I am temporarily at a loss for how to proceed.

Ge 1:29,30

Sir(ach) 38:1-9

1Ti 4:1-5

Ps 104

Status
Not open for further replies.