The Tobaccapolypse Approaches, or Does It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
For a while now we've heard that starting Jan 2014 taxes in the U.S. will drastically increase the cost of pipe tobacco. Has anyone heard any new news on this subject?

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
In the article by Fred Brown on this site. He mentions that there are two bills in Congress right now. So I would say that nothing has passed as of yet.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
There was a link to a summary of only one of the bills. "S.194 - Tobacco Tax Equity Act of 2013

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If those two bills that Fred mentions pass then the pipe tobacco world as we know it will change dramatically. I am really hoping they don't pass because even though I have completed my cellar, there are too many people who will be affected by these laws. All we can do is wait and see what transpires. While contacting your representatives is a good idea, the fact is that they could care less. going after smokers is the popular thing to do now so any politician who stands up to the anti's is cutting their throats.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
While contacting your representatives is a good idea, the fact is that they could care less. going after smokers is the popular thing to do now so any politician who stands up to the anti's is cutting their throats.
+1

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Seriously hope you guys don't get hit with the prices so many other countries are paying right now. My local stores are about $25 minimum for one 50g tin it is absolute madness. I live near the James Fox and Peterson stores in Dublin but can get their blends far cheaper from the States, even with shipping costs it is a bargain.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Deep cellaring is the only solution. Tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today. I'm giving serious consideration to selling a few high grade pipes so I can fill my cellar.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There are some good people in congress that care about personal liberty and freedom

No, I believe that you are mistaken.

There are some exceedingly few good people in congress that care about personal liberty and freedom, but none that are willing to act on it.

There, I fixed that for you.
Trailboss, don't take this as a personal attack, because it isn't. You represent a group of right-thinking folks who's hearts are in the right place and who's fear of impending (or slow creeping) doom is well justified. Where it all goes wrong is the point at which the assumption is made that if we could could just get the word out about XXX, then the citizenry would wake up, smell the roses AND the coffee and we'd be back to the Garden of Eden.
Just off the wire:

50% of the populace adamantly disagrees with you, because that's what the TV says to do.

25% have no opinion.

20% might agree, but they don't have the time right now.

3% are pumping their fists in the air and loading PMags, but their show is on in 5 minutes ad they forgot to set the TIVO, so let them know what you decide to do about it.

1% are with you in spirit, will make calls etc., but, frankly, they are a bit unstable and rarely leave the house these days.

1% are there, and can be relied on 100%. But none of them are in the ruling class, and almost all of them are over the age of 50.
1CTHREADLOCK.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yes, unfortunately, I am one of those who think we are witnessing the implosion, on many, many levels of the "Grand Experiment". I don't know if it's the economy, the government, our foreign policy, the reality TV culture, obesity, diabetes, cancer, Lady Gaga, or what ... It's just all going to hell in a hand basket. Pardon my optimism.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So, what's the ideal tobacco/pipe combination to enjoy while watching the demise of The Grand Experiment?? Should it be lighthearted and satirical, like a Heavy English in a clay pipe? Or defiant and proud, like a bright Virginia in a cob? Is there a preferred beverage? Gatorade? Everclear? Hard cider?
How about attire? I don't want to arrive unprepared.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
If Ted Cruz counts as one of the "good guys", then I agree: our civilization really is facing collapse. :)
I'd like to vote in people who prioritize science, rationality, and data-driven decision-making. Can't seem to find that political party when I go to the voting booth, though.
Ah, well. McClelland VA #22 in a cob.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't want this to become a political discussion but when Florida instituted an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco a few years ago it was the republicans who passed the law. They were bought and paid for by big tobacco so they could go after the RYO industry and the proof of that was the fact that they only passed the tax on pipe tobacco and did not tax cigars one penny. We have no tax on cigars in Florida but an 85% tax on pipe tobacco so the politicians from both sides are bought and paid for by their corporate masters. Contacting our representatives in my opinion is a complete waste of time, we should be contacting their corporate masters whose only reason for existing is their next quarterly report and their stock price. The only way we could ever see a drop in tobacco taxes is if we can show the corporations it is hurting their bottom line. Unfortunately the tax they put on pipe tobacco here in Florida did what it was intended to do which was to bury the RYO industry. We are no longer represented by our politicians, we are being lead to slaughter by the corporations who own the politicians. It is a sad state of affairs but it is the reality in which we live in. If a mod feels that this post is political please feel free to delete it. I do not want this to become a political debate

Status
Not open for further replies.