PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
just watched this horror movie with the great vincent price -

people die of fright then their spinal column comes alive with the tingler that escapes to kill others with fright - good thing i didnt see this movie a few days ago - i bought a pouch of prince albert & amphora original - they used to cost $20 each - to my horror they now cost 30 each - he gave me the bill for 60 cdn - i almost died of fright - i am still tingling as i paid the $60. - - only in canada eh !!

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I saw this movie, when I was 13, in my local theater, during its original release. William Castle, the producer, had gimmicks tied into his movies. The gimmick for this one was that some of the theater seats had a little vibrator that "tingled" at the appropriate time. You were supposed to scream to protect yourself. A lot of folk did, and I'm sure some crapped their shorts.

My seat wasn't wired, but my friend's was. He jumped damn-near 3 feet when the "tingler" shook his seat. I, of course, laughed my ass off. Ah, the good ole days.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I remember sitting at a bar one time and this guy comes in and sits down beside me. He was huge, about 6 foot 8 inches tall and weighed about 380 pounds.Watching the Olympics and the Canadians were playing hockey. Well...I had a few drinks in me and said the only thing in Canada was hockey players and whores. He stands up and growls at me "My wife is from Canada"! I looked at him and said "Great,who's she play for!" :D ...

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
@ Dino.....
I laughed when I read your comments. I remember going to see this movie back in 1959. In retrospect, the movie was ridiculous, but who cared. My theater (Bronx, NYC) rigged some fake "tinglers" to some fishing line and pulled these monsters through the aisles. Of course the audience screamed -(only girls were allowed to scream back then)- at the sight of a plastic tingler.... and then laughed at the corny joke. Vincent Price was at the zenith of his hammy career, only topping himself with an even more hammy performance in "House on Haunted Hill". That man can sure chew up the scenery! A few years later William Shatner happened, and redefined the term, "overacting"....
I also went to see another of William Castle's films called "Macabre"-1958. The Castle gimmick: Having a fake doctor, nurse and ambulance parked outside of the theater in case anyone suffered a "heart attack from fright". We were told when we got our tickets, that a "doctor was in the house" in case someone was dying of fright.
All three movies sucked, but when you're a kid....who cared. I recently watched all three films. They still suck.
****************************************************************************************
@Weezell....
Coffee shot out of my nose when I read the punchline. I knew it was coming, but still, pee-funny!
Frank

NYC

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A few years later William Shatner happened, and redefined the term, "overacting"....
A shameful comment (sorry, but someone had to say it).
As a much more enlightened human being commented on the legendary performance below, "It's Shatner's World: We just live in it."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hARDXYz2io

Status
Not open for further replies.