The Tinder Box Verona Corallo (Armellini?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbb01

Lurker
Oct 24, 2012
St. Paul, MN
I recently swapped for this estate pipe and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or information regarding if Mauro Armellini made the Verona pipes for The Tinder Box. Did he make many pipes for the Tinder Box?
The markings are "THE TINDER BOX" "Verona" "CORALLO" "904"
I know Tinder Box pipes are usually considered in the "lower end" or "seconds" market, but I have to say this pipe is very well finished, passes the pipe cleaner test perfectly, and smokes very well (once I gave it good cleaning). I also find the rustication to be very unique as well as the shaping of the acrylic stem.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes, Mauro Armellini did make the Verona and Napoli lines for The Tinderbox. It is clearly stated in the old Tinderbox catalogs that can be seen at pipepages. From the pipedia page,
"Armellini moved to Savinelli where he stood out immediately. He perfected the rustication technique and till today some of the most famous rusticated finishes, such as the "Roccia" and the "Corallo" exist only thanks to him. He worked for Savinelli for several years and till the day he realized that he decided to create his own workshop and make pipes under his own name."
I remember doing all the researh a while back when I bought some of these pipes in the estate market. They are nice pipes, and good smokers, and can be found at very reasonable prices.
Dave

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have one Verona Oom Paul that I bought in 1979, and it has always been a high quality smoker. I paid $29.95 for it then. Well worth the money. They were meant to be high end seconds, but mine smokes like a first.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's my Verona. Doesn't look quite as attractive as webbb01's but it was my very first pipe back in the day. It's still in the rotation.
3ec3cbb5-5ad7-4b9b-a94c-e7146bc5c33e_zps294afd2f.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tinder Box house pipes came from a variety of sources, but many of them were quite good quality. I have a French

pipe from Tinder Box sold as a St. Ives, the most stylish bent pot with saddle stem. It's almost 40 years old and still

smokes really well.

webbb01

Lurker
Oct 24, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Thank you all for your replies, as a "returning" pipe smoker after a 25+ year hiatus (smoked a pipe during my Civil War reenacting days), I appreciate the information. And your pipe tuold is very attractive! Glad to know that mine (like yours) should smoke well for a long time... :)

Reactions: Peter - CCB
Status
Not open for further replies.