PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Received my first box from the Tin Society today and am very excited. Three new to me blends and Autumn Evening, which deserves another try as I did not really enjoy it the first time. The mini cob is also something I would never buy for myself but was really excited to find in the box. I think this box is a fun idea and a good excuse to get a few new tobaccos a month.
LvsPUl.jpg

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Great gift, couple of suggestions

1. Glue a coin same diameter as the pipe bottom on the cob, use Aridite. It will stop burn out through the bottom.

2. The Butner reamer will serve you well, but try to pick up a Senior reamer on eBay, they don’t sell and you can pick them up cheap.

Kind regards and happy puffing.

George

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
It’s 2 ounces of tobacco and some gifts each month for 25 dollars, for me it’s fun because I like variety and all types of tobacco. I also hope it develops into a bit of a club where people post their opinions on shared blends.
I believe I saw they will ship international but without free shipping, which is normally included. They had a promo for 5 dollars off the first box that I think is still going.
I recommend. Also thank you for the tip!

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Curious what gift they send next month. Kinda waiting it out to see what else the provide in upcoming months. Love the idea of this.

Jul 15, 2011
I've been dicking with the idea of joining one of those subscription box services and this one looks hella cool. Thanks for sharing! This is the sort of thing that I will definitely have to try!

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
So for $25 you got about $10 worth of staff. And you only get 1 cob every 3 month.

No, thank you.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
If you're strictly speaking about what's _in_ the box, yes. Eight to sixteen dollars of stuff for twenty-five bucks isn't a value.
I live in Chicago, where the taxes on tinned tobacco effectively double the retail price. As much as I like supporting the local brick and mortars, to try four new-to-me 2oz tins would be 60-80 bucks. Throw in a couple months worth of cleaners and knick-knacs and it's almost equal between the service and the store for 8 ounces.
This way, for the same hundred bucks (plus or minus) and eight ounces of tobacco, I get sixteen things to try instead of just four, and none in such an amount that I feel bad for never smoking it again if I hate it. That's where the value is for me.
I subscribed a couple weeks ago and am eagerly awaiting my first package.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Or you could just buy 1oz samples from online retailer. You even get to choose which ones you buy :D

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
True, but blends sold exclusively in tins would not be on the list of choices for 1oz samples. Personally, as someone casting a wide net to try as many tobaccos as I can, with no exclusive favorite style, I like the random assortment.
Plus, as a member of the tin society, I can get whole, sealed, overstock tins from previous months samplings for pretty cheap on their web store. If there was a blend I liked a lot.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
I would probably be more interested if they had a plan that included just tobaccos and the choice of aromatics or non-aromatics, and left out the cobs too. I don't really want to build a cob collection.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Got the August box and am pretty pleased. Two aromatics and two non (this month they both had latakia in 'em, which is fine), matches and cleaners, plus a wind cap as the crackerjack prize.
Techie: I recently heard an interview with the guy, he seems open to suggestions. I'm gonna ride this train as is for at least 3 more months (see value math above). After that, I may have tried enough shots-in-the-dark to be able to say: "How about 4 English blends? Or Four peach blends? Or some other way to really head-to-head taste test tinned tobaccos?"
Tho, if my tastes had become that specific by then, buying whole tins of that style of blend from whatever manufacturer at the local brick and mortar wouldn't be such a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.