PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Once we've decided to smoke a pipe, we're 'confronted' with how to best acquire a nice selection. I discovered that buying pipes on the auction site has been a lot of fun. I may have been indiscriminate and foolhardy, but all in all I think I've gotten value for my bux.

I just won a group of 8 pipes and a 10 slot wooden circular pipe rack for under $60.00. I figured, eh, what the heck, throw a bid down and go to bed. I woke up to a win.

Of the 8 nasty looking pipes I received, 4 were Forecaster's, 2 were MasterCraft, one a Hydrofilter, and one a cob.

These things bowls were occluded with old tobacco and when I first looked at them I thought, well, there's a week's worth of work...but once I started reaming them with my cheap SS pipe 'reamer'...that stuff came right out...

I'd noticed in the original pics that the stems appeared to be in good condition so I thought maybe I could revive the bowls...and I have! None of these is considered a high grade, although the two MC are Custom Deluxe/ and Imported Briar....Italy. These pipes are all fine herd additions. 4 of em were 3/4 bent and one billiard was unsmoked. I don't think the guy who owned them had any teeth, cuz these stems are very very pristine.

Inside the bowls are still full thickness and nice and round. Most of the draft holes line up just perfectly and all are dead center.

It is fun to sit and watch youtube videos of tobacco reviews while you get an old pipe back into smoking condition.

Here's a pic of the 4 three quarter bents.
0945312-150x112.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sounds like you got a great deal and if they deliver a decent smoke then you're ahead of the game. Enjoy your new additions. BTW, love the picture.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Great picture! Congrats on a successful purchase. The thrill of the hunt is very much a part of the fun in our hobby. As long as I adhere to sablebrush52's admonition to keep one's brain ahead of the cajones, I find that a good hunt is fine whether I win or lose. In this case you won and got a good deal.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Thanks for enjoying my pic! Now, as Roger Rabbit said, "somebody STOP me!"

I just won two more auctions for a total of 8 more pipes. A total of $94.00.
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I will not be attempting to show these clenched simultaneously.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
newbroom, those dogs and Rhodys look great. They should fix up in a most handsome way. It sounds like you know how to get the most out of this pipe interest and make a sport of it without taking out a second mortgage. Keep us posted on your finds. You're having fun, so it's cheering to read about it.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Sweet! Those should be a lot of fun to work on and some good smoking when you're done.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
voorhees, I was wondering if anyone would see something interesting in that pile of pipes. I like the shapes a lot.

These look like they'll work out great. "I ain't afraid a no ghost!"
Two weeks ago there were these 5 nosewarmers I saw that weren't Custom-builts, but were just like em..Weber scoops and what not...I almost jumped on those. I don't have a briar nose warmer. Coulda had those for a C note.

I think these I got today are a better value to me though.

I consider that a run of the mill pre-drilled stummel with stem is around $30.00. That helps me feel better.
mso489, glad to provide some cheer! Always room for more of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.