PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I was saddened to hear this morning that bluesman Mr. B.B. King has passed. Born Riley B. King on September 16, 1925, he grew to be a legend. Yet through it all he maintained his humility, humor, and good grace. Rest in peace, Sir!

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
He played in University Hall at the University of Virginia when I was an undergraduate (WAY back when) and had the place rockin'! Saw him a few decades later and he did not miss a beat. A true master. GRHS

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I saw him play in Sarasota last year...it was pretty clear he didn't have many concerts left in him...glad I got to see it...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd bet I listened to "The Thrill is Gone" a thousand times. One of the most influential songs in my life.

I don't know if it's the artist, the song, or the confluence of events or more likely all three. I'd become a blues fan because I had played the harmonica and my ear caught that sound whenever it was present.

I realize that there is no harp on that song, but, it is pure blues.

I got to see BB perform on the same bill as Jeff Beck a few years back in Tampa. I've seen several old blues performers in their 'last' days.

Even struggling with his health, BB kept coming with it. RIP brother, you earned it.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I saw him play a DC Blues Folk Festival a couple of decades ago. Later, that afternoon, I was sitting on a bench, hungover, head down, resenting the muggy heat. Someone sat down beside me, and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed fat, black, ringed sausage fingers holding a hot dog. I had watched so many closeups of BB playing Lucy, that I knew it was the King before I lifted my head.
I remember mostly the tone of the conversation, rather than the details. He was warm, open, friendly, inviting, unhurried and completely at ease and made me feel equally at ease. Unlike some talks I've had with celebrities, he made me feel completely comfortable and welcome. Like most truly accomplished, great musicians I've met over the years, he answered my questions with respect and showed great dignity. The one line I remember very clearly, was a bit of advice he honored me with as one musician to another. "Son, it ain't what you play that makes it the blues - it's what you leave out." Next time you hear him play, listen for that - the notes that you anticipate but aren't played. It is one the many techniques this great artist used to build and release tension and make his music.
I've told this story many times - probably did so somewhere else in this forum. I will again. He made a lasting impression on me as a performer and human being. God bless him, bless all those that love him, and all those he loved. RIP, BB. We love you. Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.