PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
My wife has not been overly pleased (to put it mildly) with my new tobacco related hobby. At her insistence, I purchased an "herbal tobacco alternative". The contents of this stuff were listed as "mugwort, mullein, and coltsfoot". All of these things are relatively safe to smoke. This stuff arrived today and I dutifully filled my pipe with the hippy mixture, and lit it up. Words fail me when I try to describe just how unpleasant this experience was. The smell as I lit it was not pleasant. It burned my mouth, it burned my throat, and my lungs (did not directly inhale the stuff). The taste was so foul, that 1 bowl of 1Q, my lunch, a good scrubbing with my toothbrush, a brownie, and several altoids, could not purge it from my mouth. I have learned my lesson, and sincerely hope that my experience saves anyone who reads this a similar fate. Tobacco only in this mans pipe!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That sounds absolutely vile. Just remind your wife that all of the nasty chemical agents found in cigarettes don't apply to quality pipe tobacco and that the nicotine dose isn't as heavy, since you don't inhale the pipe smoke. Most people these days are taught to believe pipe=tobacco=cigarette and that's just not the case. Is it healthy? Well, you're not puffing vitamins and shit, but as bad habits go, you could do a lot worse.
For example, I work out almost every day and that includes a 2-1/2 to 3 mile run and weight training. I can do that and still enjoy my pipe every day. Never gonna happen if I went back to cigarettes. Cigs beat my lungs up too bad.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@jonahtke...She should give you an E for effort anyway for trying it. But the most important thing is that you let us know so we don't do it... :puffy:

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I wasn't expecting it to work out. I just wanted her to see me try. One of the reasons I took up the pipe was that pipe tobacco is delicious to smoke and smells wonderful to boot.

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
Quote - baronsamedi: "For example, I work out almost every day and that includes a 2-1/2 to 3 mile run and weight training. I can do that and still enjoy my pipe every day. Never gonna happen if I went back to cigarettes. Cigs beat my lungs up too bad".
I'd probably die of a heart attack while running and lifting a long time before the pipe gets me.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
:rofl:
Try some Peterson Luxury Blend, it is a big hit in my household.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
That sounds absolutely horrid! Hopefully, it didn't ghost your pipe...
-Jim

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
Most smoking herbs are like that...angelica is the only alternative smoke ive tried that i enjoyed at all and not all that much (tasted like anise kinda)

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
@jonahtke, Thats good! It would be terrible to ruin a good pipe, especially if the initial smoke was as disastrous as you described.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
used to smoke kinnikinik (sp) all the time years ago. was a herb, bark and tobacco mix based on plains indian smoking medium.
wish i could still find it.....

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
@maduroman: PM sent
for anybody else interested in the afore mentioned kinnikinik: here you go http://www.grandfathersspirit.com/Pure-Tobacco-and-Tobacco-blends/?page=2

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thank you for the heads up! I will only stick with my girl tobacco. She has been only but good to me and I will not cheat on her with some alternative!

There is only one thing that belongs in a tobacco pipe and that is tobacco! Sure hope you used some cheaper pipe for that little experiment rather than one you cherish.

Status
Not open for further replies.