PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
All of my briars are estates. Upon arrival I scrape the cake and debris, if any, out of the bowl and clean the entire pipe with mild soap and water for the exterior and alcohol for the interior shank, stem and bowl. Most pipes I also carefully sand the interior of the bowl with high grit sandpaper leaving a carbon layer intact as much as possible. I DO NOT take it down to bare wood, however, some bowls had little carbon to begin with and I have only a thin protective layer of carbon. Months after breaking in and long after ghosting has abandoned my pipes, I still find that many of them have a delightful briar taste as I near the bottom of the bowl. Some start at the halfway mark. The taste ranges from a spicy wood flavor to a sweet wood flavor and each bowl has its own distinct flavor. I didn't notice it as much until I started using Sir Walter Raleigh and Carter Hall in the bottoms of my bowls. I frankly got tired of throwing out wet/harsh Nightcap and other good blends at the end of my smoking. Now I find myself smoking pretty much the entire bowl. Once I hit the burley blend, I get the nutty flavor and a little extra from the bowl AND the blend that had been on top of it. It is thoroughly enjoyable. All my bowls have black carbonized interiors with no real caking and I'm dedicating pipes to blend types now so there is no foreign ghosting. I've read this does not last long and I should probably be savoring the briar flavoring. I certainly do. Does anyone else get a briar kick to their blends from their bowls? What are your experiences in this area?

Reactions: Papamique
Briar impedes a flavor to all blends, although it is minuscule. It's what gives the tobacco that pipey smell. Meerschaums won't do this. But, I love it. My pipe room with all of my pipes has that aroma also. But, yeh, at first it's an actual taste, but eventually it will dwindle down to just a faint aroma that mixes with the tobacco. I think that the briar aromas, which are different in different pipes is what I match tobaccos to, when dedicating pipes, maybe unconsciously.

Enjoy it while it's prevalent. I love the taste of a new pipe. I like to think it puts the pipe in my DNA.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think that putting a layer of SWR or CH in the bottom of a bowl breaks a rule. I dunno, but I'll check on it.

So be prepared to have your pipe smoker's ID card revoked by Kevin following my thorough investigation. :puffpipe:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
be prepared to have your pipe smoker's ID card revoked
Ok, ok, I know the drill. Sit in the corner, duncecap, handcuffs, lube ...wait, what, AGAIN??!! :crying:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Briar impedes a flavor to all blends,"
Imparts surely? Don't folks ever proof read afore hitting the 'send' button? Doing so would remove any ambiguity in one's messages and show that the poster has a grasp of the English language.
Regards,
Jay.

Reactions: TheWhale13
Nording has some keystones or pipestones that he sells for guys to put in the bottom of the bowl to absorb the goo or moisture. I've never used them, but if I was having an issue with moisture, it would be something to think about. But, as strict fundamentalist pipesmoker, I would suggest drying the tobacco a little more and smoking slower. Like when people tell you to drink more water when you're sick. People get tired of hearing it, but it's true. Slow down more, and you won't be forcing air to condense out the water from the smoke. We can all always slow down a little more, and we could all drink a little more water... or stick a rock in your pipe.

Or, do what you want anyways, like a heathen. :puffy: Ha ha!!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bill, last year I was given a load of pipes by a pal who smoked a well known strong aromatic. However, as those pipes had spent 20+ years in his garage they were totally ghost free!
So time and good fresh Cornish air is the only way to rid a pipe of a ghost in my humble opinion :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I personally think that natural raw briar has a sweet taste that lasts only through the first couple of bowls of a new pipe. I can't stand pre carb as that tastes bad to me. I also think that bare bowls break in faster too. Just my 2 cents.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I smoke too fast, for sure. Cleaning AND allowing drying time between smokes is a responsibility FAR down my list of things I have to do daily.
I admit it, I am a briar abuser. I'm working on it.
My bulk Nightcap tends to goop up, I don't seem to have the same problem with the tins. Drying is the issue.
I'm realizing since the OP the first couple bowls I bought, which I did take down to bare wood inside the chamber, are the ones tasting the best. Also, the ones collecting the most moisture are the many later ones I left some carbon in. I'll be getting my sandpaper AND trying to slow things down. :)

Reactions: Papamique
Status
Not open for further replies.