PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I like the taste of tobacco. I enjoy good virginias and burleys where latakia and perique are used as condiments and not the main event. I have been looking for an aromatic tobacco where the casing/topping enhances the natural flavor of the tobacco and doesn't squelch or cover-up it up. For me, this is a personal question of taste and not meant to demean you aro lovers that love what you smoke.
I like variety in my blends. I love a good change-of-pace. I have been looking for the aro "holy grail" for quite some time. Recently, I received two tins from Pipes and Cigars: Hearth and Home Landmark Series Manor Heights and Solani X Sweet Mystery (blend 113).
Hearth and Home Manor Heights:

Tin Description: "Hints of cherry and brandy with just the right amount of sweetness characterize this cool smoking blend. This is one for all-day, every-day."

When you first pop the tin, the lovely smell of cherry and brandy greets you. It smells good enough to eat! This one comes a little moist in the tin. If you dry it, much of the brandy flavor is lost and you are left with a better-than-average cherry blend. If you smoke it out of the tin, the brandy/cherry flavors come through- at the expense of your tongue. Smoke it slowly. No chemical taste in this one and a great room note. The casing/topping is delicious but cover-up the tobacco flavors. This one was not quite my cup of tea. However, I think many of you aro lovers (especially cherry lovers) will enjoy this one.

Solani X Sweet Mystery
:

Tin description: "This is a blend of Coarse Cut Sweet Red Virginia, Bright Broad Cut Virginia, Broken Viginia Flake and Sweet Black Cavendish. Two toppings are used, Black Currants treated with Bacardi and Coco Cream, resulting in a wonderful tin and room aroma."

When you pop the tin on this one you are greeted with the smell of coconut and a citrus-fig smell. The smell was delicious but a bit over-whelming. The tobaccos appeared to be of the highest quality which was reflected in the price. The tobacco was at the perfect moisture level to smoke right out of the tin.

The tobacco packed and burned well. The tin smell really didn't translate to the smoke. Sweet Mystery's casing/topping enhanced those great tobaccos. I loved the understated sweet, tartness of this blend. This one maintained its flavor to the bottom of the bowl. No bite. The room note was heavenly. Boys and girls, I think I have finally found an aromatic that will have a treasured place in my rotation!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks for the review Flyguy. I've been considering trying that Solani blend for some time as I really enjoy some of their other tobaccos. I will definitely have to buy a tin now.

Status
Not open for further replies.