PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I'm sure everyone out there has heard the story of Frosty the Snowman, and how he came to life one Christmas day. Well this the story of Frosty the ghost and he came to life one July day. Now I like mint as much as the next person, you know, mint gum, mint tictaks, and of course mint chocolate chip ice cream. What's not to like. So when I saw that there was a Sutliff Frosty Mint tobacco I figured what the heck I will give it a try. Now as I'm sure you all know there are some things that you just don't do. You don't tug on superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger and you sure as frak don't smoke a bowl of Frosty Mint. First when I opened the bag and took a sniff it was the most minty thing I had every smelled. My thought was well this should be interesting. So I loaded one of my Dr Grabow that I use for my aromatics and lit up. If there was ever a aromatic that puts lie to the saying the aromatics don't have much flavor this is it. It took all I had just finish the bowl, I kept figuring that the overwhelming Fraking mint flavor that was hitting me over the head would smooth out. But no it actually got stronger. I actually had to have two bowls of Dunhill Night Cap afterwards just to get the mintyness out of my mouth, I don't know if I will ever eat mint again.
Now you would think that was the end of story, but no. So the next day I clean up my pipes and notice that the Dr Grabow smells strongly of mint. So I figured I would smoke a non aromatic to get rid of the smell, well lets just say that Frosty Mint kicked the butt of Voodoo Queen and Dunhill Early Morning. So then I figured I will go ahead and do a deep clean, the winner Frosty Mint. Then I decided to do another salt/everclear treatment, Frost Mint just laughs at me. So I decided to pull out all the guns and retort. Retort was last seen crying in the corner. So the undisputed winner by knock out is Frosty the ghost. My Dr Grabow has retired from smoking and vowed to teach young pipes how to just say NO.

May 4, 2015
Ha. I thought it would be "fun" to order some of this. Got it in the mail and immediately gave it away a couple forum members. I didn't even bother trying it. They said they liked it, though!
I'm sorry your fate was a worse one.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I think you should try to power through with a tub of Carter Hall until frosty melts..

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Grabow. The next time I bite into a York peppermint patty, I'll shed a tear for your haunted briar.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Yeah, that stuff took my breath away. However, as a ghost I don't find it all that bad under the right circumstances. It can add a mint flavor to something plain like PS Turkish or PS Cube Cut that is interesting. I'd definitely keep it confined to one pipe.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I like mint & picked up some of the Frosty Mint to try. It's great in a little Missouri Meerschaum Mizzou dedicated to it. Pretty intense stuff.

If you mixed it with, say, Ennerdale would you approach critical mass?

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I tried getting a mint flavor into my now legend "Tobacco Burger", but can't taste it, so this has me curious. Totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.