PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
So this happened to me on my 2nd smoke but ive been holding back from talking about it cause its kinda dumb. There I was driving into work smoking my pipe (country gent) for the second time. As im smoking I have my hand on thw bowl and it turns! Me being a begginer I am thinkibg "oh cool.... it moves!" So there I am just cranking away on my brand new (now hot) cob while puffing away like a steam engine (burning the crap outa my tongue). Almost down to the bottom it goes out and when I let go of the bowl to reach for my tamper the bowl completely drops of the stem! Hot ask all over my lap and burns my jeans! Ok so funny stuff aside, I can't keep the stem in anymore. Is there a way to fix it or is it junk?
--------------------------

Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

matchstick

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
Not knowing how loose it is I will hazard a guess. While it might sound like it would do the opposite, a small drop of melted beeswax on the tenon -yeah, the "male" part of the stem- when cold, then reassembled normally cures or at least improves the situation.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Just to clarify, are you saying the stem no longer fits the shank? or is it actually the shank that has come out of the bowl? If it is the latter then I would probably bin the whole thing and get another one as the cobs are not to expensive to replace.
Assuming that when you say country gent you are talking about a cob?

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
In that case I say as the gents above. Beeswax has worked for me in the past. I just rub it raw on the tenon and it has fixed a loose fit. That said I have no idea how loose yours is. And I have never done it on a cob. Also as TopD has suggested you could get a forever stem. I have had a look at those and must say I fancy a few myself. One of the reasons I don't smoke my cobs often is because I hate the stems they come with.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Well from what I understand Missouri Meerschaum uses a vegetable based glue on their pipes.I believe you can use a flour,water,and cornstarch mixture for a natural glue that should hold. (So I've Heard)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
braumiester, just want you to know, that's an unusual experience. Most Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes are

well put together and quite durable. As with any product, you get a misfire now and then. Same thing with briar

pipes. There are a rare few lemons, but most are solid, for decades, or a lifetime. Just so you know.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I had a Dunhill 463 with a loose stem. Tried heating the vulcanite and enlarging it, tried just about everything. Finally, I just wrapped a little paper around the tenon and shoved it in. Now, it's a tight fit and smokes well. I don't remove the stem other than once in a blue moon, so it works fine for me.
The pipe has other issues that make it not a very good smoker, but at least the stem is tight. For $10 I spent on it, I can't complain.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
+ 1 Top D
Go to walkerbriarworks.com and look at the clearance section if you want to save a few bucks on a Forever stem. You won't regret it - clearance or full price.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Most Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes are well put together and quite durable. As with any product, you get a misfire now and then. Same thing with briar

pipes. There are a rare few lemons, but most are solid, for decades, or a lifetime. Just so you know.
Eh, I've had 3 and they've all fallen apart within weeks

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
I love all 3 of my mm cobs and I not complaining about them if thats how anyone took it. I caused the stem to come loose by continuously rotating the bowl/shank on the stem while smoking it. Nothin like twisting plastic in hot wood till it spins like a bearing. Lol. Anyway I am going to try a forever stem maybe as many as I can afford. If they dont work ill just pitch it and buy a new one. They are only a few bucks.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Lightly heat and rotate the end of the stem with a bic lighter. Enough to get it slightly soft. Then push it, straight down, onto a hard stone or steel surface. This will flare the stem end slightly and should tighten the fit.
Have done this a couple times on estate pipes. Even had to do so on a pipe bought off of Smokingpipes. com.

Status
Not open for further replies.