PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I have come up with a method for packing flake in my bowl that works very well. I have not read about it, but I'm sure I didn't invent it. I don't like to rub out my flake. I think rubbing out flake partially defeats the purpose of making flake in the first place. The fold and stuff method makes it burn unevenly. To remedy this I take a flake and fold it. Then I stuff the ends of the flake opposite the fold into the bowl first and twist as I push the folded flake into the bowl until it is flush. I find this to be the best way to get the most flavor with the most even burn from flake tobacco. I like the cube cut method, but it is time consuming. Next time you smoke flake, and don't have time to cube it up, humor me and give this stuff and twist method a shot. Happy Smoking !!! :puffy:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I prefer the rubbing method. My theory is that the creation of the flake melds the flavors together, and that rubbing releases the melded flavors. I didn't give stuffing a fair shot(roll or fold), I just didn't like the inconsistent burn.

I agree that flake is made for the most part for melding of flavors of the blend, that's why I said "partially defeats the purpose of making flake in the first place." I watched a video about the MacBaren flake process, and the representative said that when you rub out flake it makes it burn hot giving you tongue bite. He also suggested the fold and stuff method. Flake was made to increase the time for tobacco to stay fresh by sailors on long voyages at sea. So that is where I came up with the idea of stuff and twist. When I just fold and stuff, it never burned correctly, but when I add the twist, it opens the flake a bit inside the bowl.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
I have been using that method on all my flake tobacco for a few years,,,I think It gives the best burn and flavor to all my flake tobacco. For wetter flakes,I rip into thin long strips,tear in half and stand them up like logs in the bowl.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Leaving whole, or rubbing out a flake to me is mostly a matter of two things:

Do I have more than one hour time? (Leave whole)

Does the blend benefit from more intensity in flavor? (Leave whole)
Cubing gets a wonderful compromise and best burn.
I've done the fold and twist method but felt that its not too different from fold and stuff for me. Just more annoying to tamp the sides of the bowl to the inside constantly.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I sometimes fold and stuff... but will give it a try today.

Was going to take "Ruins of Isengard" for the day, but instead will take some PS Luxury Bullseye and will give this a try.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I find that flakes don't actually fold well. They tend to fall apart while attempting the fold. The only flake I have tried (and do like) is University Flake, so maybe this is inherent with that brand. I've tried rubbing it out and get a hot smoke. I guess what I am doing now is a little like the stuff and twist method. I attempt to fold the flake and when it refuses to fold neatly I just jam and twist the resultant mess into the bowl, tamp and light. This seems to work just fine for me. I find that "folding" a flake can't really be done. When I think of folding I think of neatly folding a piece of paper which doesn't fall apart when done. I write all this to say the fold, stuff, and twist method is what I do and I like it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Smoked my first University Flake yesterday. It tasted quite good using fold and stuff in a narrow pipe, but was absolutely awesome rubbed out in my wide bowled Randy Wiley Unique. I have tried twisting off the folded flake into 2 pieces before; naturally seems to lend itself to DGT. Next time out, I will try the twist.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
For most flakes, I find the cutting into cubes (approx 3/32 inch with either a blade or scissors) to be the best method for burn, flavor, and no bite. It seems to take advantage of the flake property, just reduce its size.
:puffy:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
As in most things, it's entertaining and informative to check out the advice and preferences of others but when we cut to the chase, the "best way" that really matters is the way that works best for our smoking style, our particular flake blend(s) and your personal pipe of choice.
+1

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Again, I will make the statement, there is no wrong way to smoke a pipe, unless you consistently set your beard on fire. Winton

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Shawn,tried it on the leather meer and it worked good,but i belive i still like the cube method,this way that you do is good for a quick flake smoke,thank you for the advice The old cajun

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
So I tried it out yesterday and to be quite honest it smoked the same as the regular fold and stuff method... I think I didnt twist enough.
I'll try it out again when Im in more of a hurry (which is the only time I use the F&S method) .... when I have the time I really enjoy cubing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.