Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here is a new article written by a huge fan of Corn Cob Pipes from Missouri Meerschaum, and custom cobs from Ricccardo Santia, along with stems from Walker Briar Works. It would have been totally appropriate for the author to start the article with; "Hello. My name is Steve Graves and I'm a Coboholic." Even if you aren't a fan of cobs, you may find the article interesting as there are some pretty neat details that go into making, and smoking corn cob pipes. I learned a bunch of cool stuff myself.
Check it out -

The Story of a Custom Cob

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Mr. Graves does a yeoman's job of extolling cobs' many virtues. The interviews were also very informative. I had not known that the P&C Missouri Meerschaum blends were actually designed specifically for smoking in cobs, though I probably should have assumed that relationship. Likewise I knew little about Santia's artisan cobs. While bamboo stems do not appeal to me, the carving and finishing work do.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Good Lord! Try to put back some money for a commission, and leave it to Kevin to lead me astray! :rofl: Seriously though, very interesting read, and the thought of a custom cob is actually something worth looking into.

rivervalley

Lurker
Feb 15, 2015
Thank you for sharing this article. This is why I enjoy this forum so much. Every time I log on I am exposed to something new. How in the world have I gone 48 years and not even known this stuff existed. Just a few months ago I thought a pipe was a pipe was a pipe and I certainly had never even thought of smoking a corn cob pipe! Oh how my eyes have been opened. I'm now a cob fan in a big way. Really enjoyed the read, thanks again.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Kevin thanks for sharing, was a good read.
@chasingembers leading us astray is one of Kevins jobs.
John

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Fantastic article! :clap:
I've been extolling the virtues of Cobs for many years and always enjoy seeing

someone else converted to "The Cob Side".
Great stuff Steve! :)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thank you all for your comments and compliments. I was a full time writer and editor for many years and I've had hundreds of articles published. However, I never enjoyed writing one more than this. Pipe people are an interesting, unassuming and generous lot and those I interviewed were no exceptions.
I must give credit to Cobguy and others on this forum who praised the most prosaic of pipes in their posts. It was their enthusiasm that kindled my interest.
For you briar lovers, I point out that it isn't an either/or choice between briar and cob. It is and/both. Cobs expand the tobacco pipe universe, as do meershaum and hardwoods. Vive la difference!
Steve Graves

aka Pax

aka Brass

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That was a great article. I may look into this a bit more as it appears this fellow lives only a few kilometers aways from me.

I think a visit in the springt may be warranted.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
Steve, thanks for the great article! Riccardo Santia and Dave Wolff are both great people with whom we enjoy a great relationship. Our goal is to make simple, inexpensive pipes that smoke well and that anyone can afford. Riccardo and Dave have taken these simple pipes to a new level, each in a different manner.

You are right that Marilyn is the de facto voice of the company. She just lets me run the company!

Status
Not open for further replies.