PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
So I was going to remove the stem on my Nording today, and the thing wouldn't budge. The only way that thing was coming off is if I twisted it in an iron grip and really REALLY twisted it really hard. I was afraid, scared, even terrified that it could break! So I simply put it in the refrigerator for a while and the thing came off easy as can be :) A great tip I learned right here at the Pipes Magazine Forums. Thanks everyone here for all the great tips to be found here.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Glad that worked and you didn't crack it! I've had good luck using micromesh on my stems to make them fit better (just be super careful with it - one turn too many and you'll have a loose stem)

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
That technique works every time for me. I put mine in the freezer because it cools down quicker.
I got a pipe off Ebay that was so tight I was afraid it wouldn't ever come off, so I put it in the freezer and kept trying to remove the stem every half hour or so. After it finally came off, I polished the tenon lightly with micromesh and kept trying the fit before, sanding more. It fits perfectly, now.
To insure a good fit, make sure the pipe and stem are back at room temperature and stabilized, before sanding the tenon.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Just saw this. Great ideas. My old Savory's has a very tight stem. Just got the micromesh pads today. What grit to use on the tenon to shave it a little?

Jan 8, 2013
Glad that worked and you didn't crack it!
I was very afraid if i tried to force it, it would crack. It was in there pretty tight. Putting it in the fridge for a bit took care of that quite well. I have to assume the stems are made to fit quite snug in freehands with that style of stem on purpose. There's really nothing to reinforce the tenons connection to the shank, so a loose stem could be disastrous. But man if I'm not going to be a bit nervous any time I take that thing off.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Try the finest grit first if you feel you need to sand the tennen. Better to take off as little as possible than too much. Although I suggest using wax on the tennen befor trying to sand it. It would suck sand too much and then not having the stem fit right.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Before re-inserting the stem, take a pencil and rub a bit of the graphite "lead" on the tenon. I use this technique on every pipe I make. It ensures a smooth fit, provides lubrication to the connection and virtually eliminates tight tenons.
CACooper

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
As I remember it now, I used 3M sandpaper, not the micromesh brand and it was 1500 grit. Either works, but I wouldn't use a coarser grade than that.
It may not be necessary to do anything else to the tenon if you lubricate it with graphite. In my case, lubricant didn't help.
If you do have to adjust the tenon, a light touch is required. Sand just a little and try the fit, before sanding more.

Status
Not open for further replies.