PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

1962 Dunhill Shell Briar
As much as I try I can't decide which shape I like better; Canadian or Lovat. I think I'll just resign myself to like them both equally. A week ago this fresh estate pipe was served up at smokingpipes and it caught my eye on the spot. I was able to stave off the PAD urge for about a day but when I checked back the next morning the pipe was still there unsold! At that point resistance was futile.

Being of 1962 vintage this pipe may or may not be the softer Algerian briar that yielded the deeper blasts that was a common attribute of the earlier Shells. From reading I have learned that there was times during the 60's and 70's that the Algerian blocks were unavailable and harder pieces were used. The blast on this example to me looks similar to the appearance of my recently made Dunhills and not the really craggy finish that I've seen on older pipes. In any case it's still a beautiful Shell and I am very proud to have it in my collection.

Once again I've bought an estate pipe from smokingpipes and the piece has exceeded my expectations. The bowl was very clean as well as the inside of the mortise and airway. A very slight ghost of perhaps an English blend still lingers but it is subtle and will soon be put to rest with one of my favorite Virginia flakes. In fact I've already chosen SG Full Virginia Flakes for the first smoke which will be later this weekend. Kudos to SP for the excellent service and a worry free buying experience.
Other than a very short period when Dunhill experimented with an all black sandblast finish the Shell pipes have always been dressed with a black over red stain and when out in the sun the red really shines through. Indoors or in the shade the pipe looks almost black. I'm sure over time some of the black has worn away and more red is able to peek out but it still looks amazing for a pipe heading into its 51st year:

I'm no expert on English pipes that's for sure but the huge scope of information out there on this most famous brand has really piqued my interest. When I started my collecting in earnest I was into Peterson's. I still enjoy smoking my Petes but that marquee's history is a bit more obscure and dating can be very problematic. While Dunhill's dating system does have ins and outs to be learned it's much easier for the neophyte collector to discern the date of origin and other details of an acquired pipe.
Really I consider myself more of a smoker than a collector and I smoke all my pipes but I read that some Dunhill aficionados would only consider the older pipes because they just smoke better. I'm not so sure of that myself but there is only one way to find out and that means getting a hold of some old classics and trying them out.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Very nice. I am still in search of a 1971 birth year Dunhill. I do have a 1926 Shell which has that craggy blast. I know there will be some difference, but I don't mind.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
1962! (my birth year btw) Big congrats - very nice looking Dunhill. And thanks for the info about the Algerian briar. I wasn't aware.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys! This post features just one pipe the Shell lovat -The pictures are all the same pipe. I was a bit misleading in my writing going on about the Canadian shape. I've been on a Canadian streak here for a while and just realized I really like the lovat shape too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, that is also one of my favorite shapes. That is one classic looking Dunhill, I love the red showing through the black, very cool. I always hear how the older ones smoke better, you need to give us a detailed report as to it's smoking properties. Congrats on another great addition.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Harris.
This weekend I enjoyed my first smoke in the pipe. I know I said I would smoke FVF but I ended up cracking open a new tin of Dunhill Flake and smoked that instead. It was my first time for that flake and it just seemed like the perfect combination. The Dunhill Flakes are a winner. I'm an instant fan and will be stocking up the cellar. Just a great basic Virginia but unique in its own way. The moisture content seemed perfect and cube cut I had no trouble keeping it lit. It stayed buring from the char light and didn't even require a second light until well into the bowl.
The pipe smoked perfect and the smoke seemed cool and flavorful even though the bowl did get pretty warm if not almost hot. Maybe that was my fault for being too enthusiastic a puffer. The next night I smoked FVF and it provided yet another near sublime smoking experience. It just seems no matter what my state of mind or pipe I use the FVF always delivers. Also I sipped a little slower and the briar stayed much cooler.
I paid a premium for this classic Dunhill but now after a couple smokes I'm happy to report that I feel it was worth it. The pipe has lived up to the reputation (I didn't really doubt it wouldn't) of the brand and it will be a regular in my rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.