Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

The Stateliest Pipe Shapes, Canadian Family

(37 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Canadian family of long-shanked straight billiard-bowled pipes have always seemed to me to be the stateliest shapes. These include the Canadian shape itself, oval shanked with a tapered stem; the Lumberman, oval shanked with saddle stem; Liverpool, round shank with tapered stem; and Lovat, round shank with saddle stem. Some Lovats seem to have standard or shorter stems with the saddle stem, as a variation on the shape. I have three Canadians -- a Benton, a Johs, and a Stanwell. I always feel, well, stately smoking them. I also have a Lovat, another Johs, but with the short-short shank, not as stately but portable and a good smoker.

Here's a pipedia link: https://pipedia.org/wiki/Canadian

How do you like Canadian shapes?

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not much of a fan. Of those mentioned, the Lovat is most to my liking, and I have seen a few that I would consider buying. The others seem unbalanced to me. Like tall guys with very short legs.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Not much of a fan of straight pipes myself. How is an inanimate object stately?

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

Like tall guys with very short legs.

That is the funniest thing I've read in days. Bravo!

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like tall guys with very short legs.
    That's about how I see it too

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no Canadian pipes in my collection. I have plenty of Billiards, a few Lovats, lots of apples and Dublins, Rhodesians and Brandy's. The longest pipes in my collection are two Lovats at about 6.5 inches long. All my other pipes are 5.0-6.0 inches long.

When I look at a Canadian there is just something about it that I don't care for.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. railman

railman

Login to Send PM

I’m not sure about stately but I have really come to like the long stemmed straights myself. I never paid much attention to them until I picked up a Bones Lovat and got to like the shape. The extra wood adds some nice visual interest.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I love the canadian shape. So far I only have one, a Brigham Klondike, but I am a big fan of straight classic shapes, and I am a big fan of long stems, so canadians are a natural match.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several Canadians but this one at 9" is a stunner to me.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I have several Canadians but this one at 9" is a stunner to me

Holy shitballs! That pipe is a stunner for sure! Especially at 9 inches! Truly beautiful pipe. What is that thing?

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That pipe is a stunner for sure! Especially at 9 inches! Truly beautiful pipe. What is that thing?

Made by Ron Powell. RDPipes.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Canadian, Lovats,Liverpools and slim billiards with fairly long stems are the shapes I currently favor the most.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  13. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Canadian is one of my favourite shapes.

There is some kind of understated elegance to it, especially when there is no embellishments.
    I also have a sense of 'more wood for the money' so to speak, more briar to look at.
    Like to think that the long briar shank cools the smoke down and I am no fan of nose warmers.

Currently there is two Stanwells and one Savinelli in my rotation.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

My actual favourite shape is Lovat. Second is Liverpool followed by Lumberman and Canadian. I really love the way they smoke thanks to the long shank. Plus, they look very nice and elegant. I have Brebbia and Peterson Lovats and a BBB Liverpool. I sold my Savinelli 804KS Canadian, it was a very unpractical giant pipe - too long, too heavy and too big. But I'm planning to buy a normal-sized Lumberman (806) and a Canadian (802) as well from Savinelli and/or Brebbia. I like the classic look of Dunhills too but until I can buy 3-4-5 normal-priced good quality pipes for the price of one Dunhill, I'm not considering it as a possibility.

Actually, this new Peterson (Aran 53) is my first Peterson pipe without any issues, I wanted to make a post about it, it is an excellent pipe and smoke how I expected from a Peterson. Brebbias smoke like a dream as always, it is my absolute favourite producer. Hopefully I will have some free time somewhere during the next week and I will take and upload photos.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

I'm with workman, long shank and short stem make for an unbalanced pipe.

A short shanked lovat is my favorite shape because it looks so utilitarian

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the Canadian shape, and love that one Papipe guy. Not all grab me though, I had a Sav 804KS that just didn't grab me and I sold. Not sure why, but I try not to duplicate things in my collection - so I only have one presently

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How is an inanimate object stately? It must be by association. In the same way that perhaps a majority really like the bulldog shape, but others wouldn't have one. So what are my associations that make Canadian shapes stately to me? I think it is simplicity, a little larger look even for medium size pipes, and the underlying demand for a somewhat bigger piece of briar for the purpose. There may be other aspects, but those are the conscious ones. To me, there is quite a non-verbal visual language to pipe shapes, almost a conversation, that makes pipe shapes art as well as tools.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

In the same way that perhaps a majority really like the bulldog shape, but others wouldn't have one.

This is so true, at least in my experience. I find the bulldog to be the single ugliest shape I have yet seen. I honestly can't say why, aesthetically they just make me want to barf. I just don't understand some peoples' (and makers') fascination with them. That and the giant Oom Pauls that look like Jabba the Hutt. I'd still take one of those over a bulldog in a heartbeat though.

Maybe they smoke like a dream?

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I find the bulldog to be the single ugliest shape I have yet seen.

Same

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can understand that. But I like bulldogs. But they are clunky and ungraceful, so the attraction, for some, is something else. A kind of sturdy practical look, for those who see them that way. I like churchwardens but not Cavaliers, which look stagy to me, but some folks like them a lot. I like the Peterson brandy/volcano B11, but it's not a generally admired shape. So it goes.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha! Wasn't there a thread recently about our least favorite shape? I believe everyone knows that the blowfish is the ugliest. Bulldogs are cool.

Tim
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I like the Peterson brandy/volcano B11, but it's not a generally admired shape

I like the B11. Not generally a bent stem fan (outside of churchwardens) but I do like Peterson's bent shapes. Some of the Sav one's as well, I have a 904 and a 920.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same

Hmmm, I say HMMMMMM..... Y'all's is jes' messed up is what *I* think.

B

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  24. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PeterD-Buffalo Spirit has the best, largest collection of Canadian shaped pipes of anyone I have ever seen...he has a couple that Ron of RdPipes made for him...similar to what papipeguy has, made by the same Pipe Carver.
    Ron's pipes are, to me, elegant...and PeterD-Buffalo Spirit has the largest collection as I stated above.
    I have 3 in my collection...a Comoy Golden Grain, a GBD Virgin and a Yello-bole Canadian...all are excellent smokers.
    Forgive an old man who repeats things too often.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never thought I was a fan of the Canadian shape but ended up with a couple. They're technically bent billiards I suppose but I consider them Canadians. The first is a Rossi 8812. It just has a little bend right at the tip of the stem. It's another one of those Rossi pipes that I liked so well I got a similar Savinelli. The Savinelli is a 814 KS. The little bend at the end is nice as I clench pretty much all the time.

I'll ask my wife if they make me look stately. She wouldn't lie.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, I say HMMMMMM..... Y'all's is jes' messed up is what *I* think.

IIRC, Jesse's not a fan either.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ Oh, you no fun, falling right over like that.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

Alaskanpiper: I find the bulldog to be the single ugliest shape I have yet seen.

And yet, he bought a MM Bully on the first day they were announced.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boom. Thanks, Tulsa! }}:)

Funny thing is, when I was getting my Elba out of the rack a little while ago, I passed over 6 bulls to get to it. I'm Evel Knievel!
    B

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. writingraav

writingraav

Login to Send PM

I agree with the opening comments of this thread completely. Canadians of various stripes are my favorites hands down. I have a Comoy, Ashton, 2 Crawfords and more. I also have a Savenelli Bing's Favorite that I think qualifies.

As for the bulldog, I think its appeal is how comfortably it can be clenched.

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

As for the bulldog, I think its appeal is how comfortably it can be clenched.

Any well balanced pipe with a nice button is easily clenched.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Canadians and the Canadian pipe shape. Although I dont own one I am in search for a Dunhill Canadian of a particular year.

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 4 weeks ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

bron340

Login to Send PM

I personally like the canadian shape...if it is balanced. I have two, a slim prerepublic meer lined Pete', which is quite small, and a Savinelli, which is large and unwieldy and does not lend itself to a pleasant smoke. The Peterson

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  34. augiebd

augiebd

Login to Send PM

I like the Canadian family, I will admit it is a bit about the fact that I am a Canadian but it is more the shape. I like the long stem and what I find to be a classic shape. I have 3 of the Canadian shape (Savinelli KS, Brigham Canadian Sesquicentennial, 1933-37 Frank Medico) and a 1962 Dunhill root briar Lovat. I smoke the Lovat the most and haven’t smoked the Brigham yet.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  35. augiebd

augiebd

Login to Send PM

Correction: long shank. Now I know I’m going to hear about it.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  36. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, given your correction post is but two minutes after the original, you could have edited it and no one would have been the wiser. So you learned something by your mistake!

It wasn't one everyone would catch, and anyone who'd make a big deal of it is a dick; the context was clear.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  37. husky

husky

Login to Send PM

I have a brandy with a long, oval shank.
    Is that anything bordering Canadian or just an abomination?

Posted 2 weeks ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper