PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
First I want to thank the guys at the Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania for sending us some hearty samples of each of their soon to be released blends. The West Georgia Pipe Club had a blast tasting and reviewing each of these. I thought it would be cool to print up cards and let the guys write out their thoughts on each blend as they smoked them. I will write out my thoughts and then give you various comments left by the club guys. So on with the reviews. As the guys came in they each smelled the tin note of each blend before choosing where to start. Warhorse won out and was the first bowl smoked. So we will begin there.
WARHORSE: Warhorse is a great blend. It is light on N and could be an all day smoke. It burns very nice and of the two bowls I have smoked so far both only required one light. It burned down to a nice white ash with no dottle. The flavor is very nutty with a subtle sweetness and the nutty flavor holds throughout the whole bowl. I am primarily a flake smoker, but this is definitely going into the cellar. I am really enjoying it.
Thoughts from the other guys: Nice Robust strong flavor, Easy on the tongue, lighter than expected with a bit of spice, The Kentucky stands out with some subtle spicy and sweet contrasts.
JOHN COTTON'S SMYRNA: I liked this one best out of the John Cotton's. I thought it had a nice creamy latakia flavor, rich and spicy. It burned cool and the deeper I went into the bowl the creamier it became.
Thoughts from the other guys: Good solid English, Latakia Forward with a smooth Va undertone. Mild and rich, a creamy flavor that was present throughout the whole bowl.
JOHN COTTON'S 1&2: This was a nice light smoke, burns well, but I didn't get a ton of flavor out of it. One thing I noticed out of all of the blends is that they burned wonderfully, stayed lit well and I despite smoking 5 bowls consecutively I had no tongue bite.
JOHN COTTON'S #1 MILD: This was also a nice light smoke. It had a nice creamy flavor as well. There were some similarities to Smyrna but this was as the name dictates more mild.
Thoughts from the other guys: More creamy than expected and very mild, I like latakia and it went well with the Virginias, Very nice blend, Perfect moisture level, stayed lit well.
BENGAL SLICES: This blend was the one I was most looking forward to. The sample I got was a little more dry that I would like and required a bit of work to get lit, but despite that, it was a great smoke. The flavor was nice and spicy right out of the gate. There was a definite creaminess and a sweet flavor which really mirrors the tin note. I will definitely be buying this.
Thoughts from the other guys: Strong flavor without the tongue bite, Was not as strong as I was expecting from the tin note, Very smooth oriental, picked up citrus and vanilla tones, Aftertaste is wonderful.
I set up cards with the name and description of each blend.

One of the guys loading a bowl of John Cotton's Smyrna.

Everybody enjoying the some STP blends.

And me, shaintiques, enjoying a tasty bowl of Warhorse in my Aldo Velani.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I have sampled Warhorse and think it is a very good smoke. I found it to convey more nic than you apparently did, but I probably have less tolerance than you do. If I smoked this all day you might find me in a heap somewhere. But I will keep it on hand and am looking forward to its release. The others I have not tried.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I didn't think I would like Warhorse as I don't like ODF and I'm not a fan of Burley forward blends, but I love Warhorse. Great nutty taste, cool burning, and none of the harshness that I would normally expect from such a blend. Russ is a true master!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
shaintiques, how does Warhorse compare to other blends in terms of nic? Any other blends you consider "light on the N"? I understand that the original was pretty strong in that department.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The nic-hit on War Horse is just a shade over being mild. They are discussing finding a way to make it as a bar as well, and that version will be stronger than the loose cut.
If you haven't seen my reviews of them, here's the link. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-standard-tobacco-company-reviews

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm really looking forward to these myself. I hope the vendor will reserve a quantity of 5-tin samplers for sale, because I can see one or more of these blends being Penzanced immediately.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The question about N content, I am mainly a flake smoker and so my tolerance is perhaps higher than some, so the N content seems light to me, but I have had guys who mainly smoke aros tell me that to them it is strong. So I think Jim's assessment is correct. The rubbed version isn't as strong as expected but the plug will definitely be. In any case, it is a great smoke and I can't wait to get my hands on some more.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great mini reviews and pics. Looks like a good time was had by all. I'm looking forward to trying these blends when they become available. The list of blends to try just keeps getting longer and longer!
I also hope they release a t-shirt or hat with that sweet tobacco/oil rig logo. :)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Red and black of course the 'War Horse' colors. Its the ultimate posing pouch to put your 'War Horse' in and impress your friends! :rofl:

P

pipebuddy

If Russ Ouellette is part of the process, does this mean they will only be available at P & C?

Status
Not open for further replies.