PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Jake, my black Lab of 12 years had to be put down 13 days ago. His back end and spine was just giving out and Thursday 2 weeks ago he had a stroke. I felt so bad I could not write about.
Now the good news, Belle, a 3 month old female black Lab has come to live with us. She is so cute it tears at your heart. She is OK with squirrels, deer and horses but is not too sure of the longhorn steers in the pasture. Today the 2 bulls came to the fence and they touched noses. The bulls were like puppies running up and down the fence with her. I laughed so hard I spit my pipe out.
I'll have pictures ASAP.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
So glad you got another Friend. It's a hard day when your Buddy goes and I am so glad for you on your new Buddy. Do you talk to your Dog, I"m teaching PMon Cajun French, his Woof Woofs are starting to have an accent. LOL

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Sad news, but I'm happy you have a new pup in your life. Reading your post made me think of a 12 year old Sheppard I had to have put down for much the same reason... I cried like a baby.
Bradley... I talk to our dogs all of the time and to be honest I enjoy talking to them more than I do most of my other loved ones. :wink:

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I try not to think of the inevitable day my best buddy will pass. I'm glad that you found a new friend. You can never replace a dog imo, but you can give a happy life to another one. I hope you and your newest friend have many happy years together.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Thanks guys. Brad, yup but she just turns her head and barks. She is into everything, it had been 25 years since we have had a really young dog. I think she may be the devil.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The loss of a best friend is truly sad. My wife is a veterinarian, and she sends a condolence card to the families of her patients who go to doggy and kitty heaven. Right now our home is graced by Babyface, an American Staffordshire, and Dozer, a Jack Russell, both of whom take a nap with me each day, after making sure my ears and face are clean.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You saw Jake out responsibly, with as much ease as the situation permitted. He would have been most dismayed,

I feel, to think of you without a canine companion (and supervisor) to see you along. Voila, Belle. It sounds like

she's up to the job.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Sorry to hear about Jake - sounds like he had a pretty good run. Glad you've got Belle now - the new pets are never quite the same as the ones we've lost, but they help. My wife and I have lost 5 cats over the decades we've been together (mostly kidney issues), and it never gets any easier.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
Pipeinhand, sorry about your friend. When I had to put K.W. Down it tore me up something bad. We had been through so much together. I had him for 16 years. I now have adopted Mandy an older CockerSpaniai, she helps me write my books. Brad, she tries to talk but just hasn't quite got the hang of it yet. I speak flaunt dog speak so we converse well. Take care all, Pipetraveler

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Sorry for your loss, and happy for your new family member.

How do they worm their way into your heart?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I’ve been going through the same thing. My beloved dog who I had for 13 years passed away 3.5 weeks ago. I rescued her from the animal shelter in early 2001 when she was about 6 to 8 months old. She was a medium sized mixed breed, and she was truly an amazing, very intelligent dog. Her condition had worsened rather quickly in the last couple of months. I was afraid I was going to face the decision to have her put down, but she passed in her sleep one night.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
20140329_121821-450x600.jpg

OK here she is....
Don't let that cute face fool you, she may be the devil.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I feel your pain!
I lost a 14 year old yellow Lab female one month ago. She had been with me since she was 7 weeks old. She and I hunted ducks and geese together from S Dakota to the moth of the Mississippi River. She lived in my house and was my constant companion. I miss her dearly.
All I have now is my black Lab in my avatar which has also been with me since he was a puppy. He is not as well-rounded socially as my late yellow Lab female. All he wants to do is retrieve ducks and breed females.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
My condolences for your loss of your friend Jake. And I hope you have many years of great fellowship with Belle; she is a real beauty.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
While it is hard now, remember the good times and he will never be forgotten. I often think our animal friends are sent to us to get us through times in life... Both good and bad. They are truly a family member. Now it is time to make new memories with the new pup.
I'm smoking a bowl now in honor of Jake and the times he brought joy to your lives. :puffy:

1fatbbqr

Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
This quote attributed to A.A. Milne sums up my feelings on the loss of a friend. "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard”. Simple, but gets straight to the heart of the issue. My condolences.

Status
Not open for further replies.