PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I thought I'd share a couple of thoughts on the Southern Fried Pipe Show held in Nashville last weekend. So far this year, I've attended Vegas, Chicago, and the KC show. This was a radically different show on several fronts. We started out at Bruce Weaver's place on Friday night for a great dinner, some shop time, and a lot of camaraderie with about 30 pipemakers from all over the country including Jeff Gracek, Nate King, Todd Johnson, Steve Liskey, Tonni Nielsen, and many others. It's amazing how much you can learn hanging out with guys of this caliber.
The show was set up at an old church in downtown Nashville- two large tents on either side. One side had 40 pipe makers, the other side some great beer, bourbon, a beard contest and live music. This was one of the few shows that only had artisan pipe makers at the tables with no table fee- no estate pipes or tobacco were sold during the event. The crowd was a definite departure from the typical show - more knuckle tattoos and bushy beards than at a Harley convention, along with a heavy contingent of hipsters- a much younger demographic than at most shows. We really found some of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet.
I saw a thread on here the other day where someone asked about the effectiveness of Instagram- we were shocked when at least 50 people through the course of the day came up and said "Hey- we follow you guys on Instagram!" It seemed the event was heavily driven by social media.
The after show was at Smoker's Abbey - a great cigar venue with tables setup outside- There were probably 100 people there who partied hard through the night…I wish I had time to get more pictures, but it was an incredibly busy day and my phone died early. It was definitely a departure from the usual pipe show- the model certainly won't replace the more traditional pipe shows, but it was an interesting alternative. When you hear of a resurgence of pipe smoking in the 20-35 year age range, this was the place where you could see it alive and well. The buyers were different - newer smokers who were buying pipes in the $200-300 range. The guys in the $800+ range were a little slower on sales. Greta and I had a great time, sold most of our pipes and will definitely be back next year.
…and the day after I went to a climbing gym in Nashville with my grandkids, daughter, and son….nothing like climbing a 60' wall with a hangover…)
t9tjjm.jpg

xomce0.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I've been waiting for someone to say something about this show. It is great to have someone sponsor and event like this. Those tables and tents weren't free.
I wonder how many of the carvers will continue on to CoRPS for the farewell show.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thanks for the report. I never seem to have time to get away for a good pipeshow... Maybe we need the Seattle Pipe Club to host one... hmm, point to ponder.
Anywhoo, Thanks again and I am glad you had a great time. You make awesome pipes!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a handsome array of pipes you offered. Wish I'd been there to admire them in person.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It sounds like the show was a success. An interesting change of format from the typical show.

You were hanging with the rock stars of the pipe world!

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
I agree, the best pipe show I have attended!
I think the festival approach with food,music, and pipes was a great thing. I believe the town also lends to a perfect place to host a pipe show.
As a pipe maker I did very well at the table and met a lot of very cool people. Can't wait till next year!

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
THat's what I heard was that the majority of the people there were looking for the 100-200 price ranges - and I suspect that's the trade-off on social you're getting a younger crowd that may not have the capitol to buy nicer pipes.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I did get a few pics of the offerings from different makers.

I didn't get pics of all of them, and some pics didn't focus good enough to use.

jpiper

Lurker
Apr 6, 2014
The event was a ton of fun. Although, as some have pointed out, those of us younger pipe smokers do not have the extra cash to purchase an artisan pipe. I am married and in college, so I am lucky to have enough money to buy a cob! Lol. Still with that being said it was a great time and I will be planning ahead for next year.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Being my first show, I didn't know what to expect. Some of the guys I thought would have sold out in 20 minutes went home with quite a few. Saying that, however, I think it was a good introduction to newer pipesmokers. There's a lot of stuff out there, expensive and not, and it really gave some of them a "starting point" with artisan pipes. As is the usual, some of the pipes from newer makers were worth the money and some were not, but this boils down to opinion.
One thing I really liked was the accessibility of some of the higher end guys. A lot of the youtube/instagram centric crowd may not have heard of some of them, so it wasn't usually a line gathered in front of their table.
The facilities were adequate, food was good, cokes and bottled water were $1- wasn't a money grab. I think it was successful and take my hat off to Chris and the guys that put it together.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
those of us younger pipe smokers do not have the extra cash to purchase an artisan pipe
If you were looking for an artisan pipe you could find them on the low end at $150- 200- most of those guys guys sold out quickly. I was hanging in the $275-$475 range with a fair number of other guys and we all did well- 7 or 8 pipes- great for a 1 day show….It was only when you got into the $800 plus range that it seemed a little slower….
So…even if the young ones don't have the big bucks right now, they sure spent what they had….and when they graduate from college and get good jobs….they'll be the next generation to keep it moving….

furthur73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
This was my first event as well and I have to say it was a great time. Everyone was down to earth and approachable, there were good conversations and good laughs all around. The pre-party, show, after-party and hangover event at Uptown's were all enjoyable times with convenient locations and good parking. I am looking forward to next year already.

jpiper

Lurker
Apr 6, 2014
It was great for me because I got to meet most of the makers and check out their pipes in person, so now when I do decide to pull the trigger I will have a better frame of reference. Also,I did win a Drew Estate raffle, so that was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.