PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I live in an apartment and when I smoke cigars the place sometimes gets thick with smoke. Not so with pipes. I like that. It's a hassle in the winter with cigars, having to open a window and switch the fan on high to keep from setting off the smoke alarm. Cigar tobacco must be "smokier". Is that possible? Are some pipe tobaccos smokier than others?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cigars do produce a larger volume of smoke and there's at least 4 bowls of tobacco in one medium stick.
Some blenders add cigar leaf to a blend to give it a creaminess and add volume.
I'd highly recommend trying GLP Key Largo and C&D Billy Budd for good examples.
BTW ... Dark Fired Kentucky also has this effect, to some degree.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
There are a few articles on the web from Steve Saka explaining why Liga Privadas are so much smokier than most every other cigar out there. Something to do with the oils, IIRC. They ferment lower and slower than the industry and preserve the oils in the leaf that way.
Ahhh, here we go. Search for "There have been bloggers on-line who claim, mostly based on the amount of oil stain in the boxes, that the wrappers of the entire Liga line are somehow treated artificially with oils to promote a greater smoke production. What do you say to these accusations?"
http://www.reddit.com/r/cigars/comments/19el4o/ama_steve_saka_ceo_of_drew_estate_today_february/
So there, it is likely due to the differences in fermentation and curing that cigar smoke is, on the whole, smokier than pipe tobacco.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I smoked a cigar in my car one day.When I went to get back in my car the smell just about knocked me over..I haven't done that again.

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
I couldn't smoke a cigar in an apartment.. Most have anti smoking policies, and the neighbors I imagine could just complain and complain.. I'm hoping to find a apartment with a nice parkish place I can sit with my pipe and read a book.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Cigar definitely put out alot more smoke than pipes. After a cigar I'll still smell it the next day in my house as well as the clothes I was wearing will just reek of cigar smoke. It's also different tobacco being used, kind of like how latakia has a really smokey smell compared to Virginia.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Pipe tobacco room notes are one of advantages of the pipe over cigars. I'll smoke a cigar on the back porch, with doors and windows closed, and it will still stink up the house. Pipes, not so much - and the odor that does linger is much less offensive.
Pax

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
It took a while to realize I could leave my coat or jacket in a back storage room rather than the coat rack at my B&M ( mostly cigar smokers). Before doing that, one trip to the B&M and everyone had comments about how my jacket/coat smelled bad. Never have such a problem from smoking my pipe in the garage.

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I agree about the oils on the cigar. Cigars use 3 diff types of leaves: wrapper, binder and filler. All have diff burning and flavor qualities. Cigar smoke definitely lingers and gets into everything. I can definitely relate to the jacket in the B&M lol
I too only smoke cigars outside and pipes inside with an air purifier.
I will say I never got tongue bite from a cigar. I feel pipe tobacco smoke is thinner compared to cigar smoke. Pipe tobacco at times can be hotter and wetter (steam can be an issue). I think the cigar itself acts as a natural filter.
I can easily smoke cigars on the golf course. I'm not sure windy conditions would be good for pipes.
I like having the option of smoking both.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Just had the golf course conversation with a friend. He agreed with you. I would not have thought of about the problem golfing. You can always put a cover on your pipe if it is too windy. I don't smoke cigars very often. If the weather is agreeable enough to golf, given the opportunity, I go fishing. I could never play worth a _ _ _ _ anyway :D

Status
Not open for further replies.