PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
As I sit here drinking my coffee with Irish Cream, and smoking on my pipe, I realize the two were destined to go together. Coffee I've enjoyed most of my life. Smoking has been a love hate relationship. But I'm new to pipe, and have found I highly enjoy it. So why then, I wonder as I sip my cup and puff my pipe, did I not discover this match made in heaven earlier in life? I smell the aroma of my coffee and the warmth of the cup in my hand. I smell the aroma of my tobacco and the warmth of the pipe in my other hand. I feel relaxed, at peace, content. This is beauty... the swirl of the cream in my coffee, and the swirl of the pipe smoke in the air.
Who else enjoys a cup of coffee with their smoke?

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
A nice dark roast and delicious bowl is pure bliss. Especially this time of year.

Jan 8, 2013
@Lawrence... I'm a new pipe smoker Lawrence, I need all the suggestions I can get when it comes to tobaccos. Otherwise I'll never really find those that I may enjoy over others.
@gwtwdbss Although new, I have to say I agree. Not sure what smoking a pipe is like in the spring or summer though... I have to assume warmer ;)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I think you should try a nice burley blend with your coffee.
My favourite straight burley is Wessex Burley Slices.
It is supposedly the closest thing you can get to the original Edgeworth Sliced blend, if you ever hear of that in your travels - it was a famous old fashioned American tobacco.
It has a deep dark nutty and woodsy taste that reminds me at times of bitter cocoa and at other times of coffee beans - I believe it is cased with molasses but that doesn't come out in the smoke much. There isn't a lot of sweetness, mostly just dry burley flavour...
It's not cheap at around $11 a tin but let's be honest it is not that expensive either if you really enjoy it.
Give it a try! (Solani Aged Burley Flake is probably another worthy contender)
I should add that I prefer to smoke first and follow it up immediately with a black coffee but I figure it is six of one, half dozen of the other...
I think you will find that it is a very different experience than your aromatic blend. You may like it, you may not, but there is only one way to find out! If you don't, then at least that is another feather in your cap and you can say that you've tried a straight burley without much of an added topping.
By the way, smoking a pipe to me is bliss in the warmer weather compared to days like today with two feet of snow on the ground.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Yes! Simenon said it! I like coffee with most any blend, but burley tops it for sure.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I love pipes and coffee together. Early Morning Pipe is a great one with coffee too. (duh)
I will give some of those Burley blends a try! They sound great.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I mixed some EMP with McClelland's Avenue TQ (a Lane 1Q match easier to find in Canada) and a cup of Starbucks Verdana Blonde yesterday morning, absolute perfection. As for another aromatic to go with the coffee I really enjoy WO Larsen Old Fashioned, doesn't seem to be quite as sweet.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I love coffee and a nice bowl myself. I'd also recommend trying a good English hot tea with a bowl of an English blend. It's surprising how well those to go together.

Lawrence, I 'm a big fan of Grousemoor myself but it is definitely different!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I started my day with a cup of Starbucks French Roast with my bowl of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, love my smoke and coffee in the morning. It is almost time to switch to iced tea until adult libation time.

Jan 8, 2013
@cigrmaster I enjoyed my pipe outside a Starbucks just the other day. The weather was nice enough. I'm sure I'll find myself doing that quite often, as I have a Starbucks practically next door to my job.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If got some Gevalia French Roast on the stove right now. I'm going to fill a meer full of Miskatonic and go outside in the cool weather and sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.