The Shortest Pipe You Own?

(51 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from mindovermatter
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a thing about not buying a pipe that is shorter than 5". I really dislike nose warmers as the smoke gets in my eyes. When I look at pipes I see tons of them as short as 4"-4.5. I have to assume that people must be buying them or no one would make them? This pipe for example is 3.97", would you buy something this short?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/david-huber/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=255656

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The shortest I currently own is just over six inches. I loathe short pipes for their tendency of the rising smoke getting in my eyes.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

I desists so called (NoseWarmers) at the time they came out everyone flocked to the new fad. I agree with Steve, smoke gets in my eyes and for the life of me I couldn’t stand looking crosseyed while lighting my pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Steve?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't say I own a particularly short pipe. I suppose my shortest would be a lovat that is a touch under the 5-inch mark but I wouldn't mind owning a shorter pipe and certainly will at some point. I was a cigarette smoker for a long time so smoke in the eye is not something that concerns me. Actually, my full bents are persistent offenders when it comes to smoke in the eye.

Short is fine for me but I don't fancy the one you linked much.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one that is just over 3.5" and I have no idea how I should smoke it, especially because I am a clencher. I bought it as a cleaned estate because it was dirt cheap yet the blast looks great. I think it's time to test it out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my first pipes was a Baraccini "pocket" pipe, about 4.25" long. Like a scaled down "real" pipe, it's a nice 10 minute smoke when the occasion demands it.

I use it less and less these days, but, on a long road trip, using a smoke free rental vehicle, it's nice to squeeze in a quick puff or two at stops.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The shortest I own that I smoke is a Missouri Meerschaum Lil' Devil Acorn that's just about 4.5 inches. I do have a cob that's much smaller, that came in the Cornell & Diehl blending kit, but it really never gets used. My shortest briars are Moonshine Pipe Co. Deviled Eggs which are just a hair longer than the cob. Most of my pipes are not short but the length isn't a deal breaker for me.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shortest is about 5", nice and light, but wouldn't go shorter. Nor do I care for the chubby look.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Chapuis-Comoy Punch that is 3.95. It is a great little pocket pipe and smokes well.

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just went to measure my shortest pipe and it is actually 5.25 inches long, not sure why I thought it was shorter. When I look at pipes to buy, I normally look for 5.5-6.00. The big stubby look like the one I linked to was an example of a pipe I just don't understand what makes it attractive to people. It looks so disproportionate to my eye.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My shortest pipe is a 3.5 inch meer. I smoke ropes and such in it. Great pipe. Oh, it's an 1881 Meerschaum.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a 4.77" Castello.. It's a wonderful pipe. I clench it exclusively and I've never had a problem with "smoke eye".

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

See my avatar. It's a Pete with a wind cap.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An Al Pascia Curvy smooth with wonderful grain. 4.5" long. A fine smoker but only really clenchable outdoors.

Viewing with alarm since 1948.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3½". No problems smoking it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By short pipe I mean any pipe shorter than 5"; in those terms, I do own a few short pipes which I don't use often. The exception being on trips. I should sell my short ones to someone who'd appreciate them more

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Dr Plumb 100cm .

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This little Michail Kyriazanos, at a smidge over 4", it's a homage to a 1920's Comoy's.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

Lovely pipe Al.
    Dan
    Gabrieli Pipes

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two that are 5 inches, my shortest pipes. But they are also stacks, almost toppers. I wouldn't be able to stand one any shorter than that.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That seems a myth to me. I smoke a few nose warmers, especially ones by Morgan Pipes. I clench almost exclusively. With the pipe poking out of the side of my mouth, I never seem to have a problem with smoke in my eyes. I find bent pipes worse about this, as the top of the bowl is down lower and allows for drafts to carry the smoke to my eyes. A straight nose warmer never seems to cause that issue. I love them because they make good pocket pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

crash, definitely not a myth. A few years ago a member here sent me a nose warmer to try out. I don't remember exactly how short it was but it was short. I smoke inside almost exclusively and I got smoke in my eyes and it was very annoying. The pipe was a Stanwell I believe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, I do a lot of my smoking outdoors. That may be the biggest cause of differing experiences.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

crash, that definitely makes a big difference. I should have tried smoking the nose warmer outside.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I just picked-up this Amorelli carved apple that is just over 5". That's about the shortest I'll go: for one, lighting a short pipe makes me uncomfortably cross-eyed; two, lighting a short pipe feels hotter, IMO, because of the shorter draft length; and lastly, intermediate lengths are better suited to my appearance.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

You know, it's not about the length, especially if you know how to make it smoke.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. halfy

halfy

Login to Send PM

The shortest pipe I have, a tiny Toku fish.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a tiny or two, but I smoke the Old Dominion Chesapeake at just over five.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lemme try again, my MM/Dagner poker nose-warmer at 4.5". The bowl's pretty big, so I forgot how short it is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cortez, nice looking pipe. I really like that shape.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know, it's not about the length, especially if you know how to make it smoke.

True dat, but length and girth must surpass a certain size to make for a satisfying smoke. (That's what she said)

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

I have a Neptune tomato at 4 3/8" I find shorter pipes better for clenching and I've never had a problem with smoke getting in my eyes.

Russ

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know there is no set length of a "nose warmer" pipe. The average height of males in the Netherlands is 1.83m (6ft) while that in the US in about 5'10". Perhaps an average Dutchman will yell a 6" pipe is too short for him.

I have been trying to look for some vintage photo of early workers smoking nose warmer pipes. What I found so far are factory workers, rail workers, etc all smoked pipes with long stems, hanging out far away from their faces. There is this look of smoking a typical nose warmer where if the pipe is clenched on the side, the bowl of the pipe almost touches one's cheek - unmistakably that is a nose warmer pipe. I remember I came across a few nose warmer vintage photo but is now nowhere to be found. In my eyes, pipes that are not chubby enough and that are much more that 4" in length - they fall into the normal pipes range.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Short pipes get smoke in my eyes and sometimes nose. No matter the length of the pipe, reading with the book on my lap can get smoky. It's like a loop,: I get irritated by the smoke, and this repeats. Sometimes I don't get in that loop, sometimes I do.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nosewarmers put me off for two reasons: I'm afraid they'll smoke to hot and singe my mouth, and I just don't care for their stubby shape/aesthetics.

I do have a 3.5" cob, though; but that's my 'desk pipe': its meant to sit on my desk, never to be smoked, useful only for me to practice my draught/sipping.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I guess I have the shortest one, but size doesn't matter, right? This 30 gr (1.06 oz), 3" long pipe is a Carmette pipe made by our forum member clickklick. It smokes amazingly well and I had no problem of smoke getting in my eyes.

Original thread

Some pictures:

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Passatore Pico, 110mm. The nose warmers are the only pipe I find I can tolerate a 9mm filter. Still seem to get most of the flavour through due to the short proximity from bowl to mouth.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This Tyler Huckfelt nosehorn is the my shortest pipe...

About 3 3/8" in length and 2" tall. It's a fantastic pipe for clenching while I'm out trekking and playing with the dog. No problems at all with smoke getting in my face, but I'd probably be a little worried about lighting it if I had a beard.

RESPECT THE PIPE!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nosewarmers put me off for two reasons: I'm afraid they'll smoke to hot and singe my mouth, and I just don't care for their stubby shape/aesthetics.

I do have a 3.5" cob, though; but that's my 'desk pipe': its meant to sit on my desk, never to be smoked, useful only for me to practice my draught/sipping.

Never felt that. In fact, a few years ago somebody posted a test with nosewarmers and recorded temperatures. No hotter than any other pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

Here's my shortest pipe, and one of my favorites. Smokes cool, and I don't clench, so smoke in my eyes is never an issue.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

Mine would be 4.25 to 4.75. They are all reverse calabash, 4 Radice and 1 Thorpe. I love them as they seem to subdue the bite from some of the tobacco’s I enjoy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy nosewarmers. My smallest is 5", with several about 1/2" longer. I only clench when I am trying to strike a match.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In fact, a few years ago somebody posted a test with nosewarmers and recorded temperatures.

Now that's a thread I'd really like to see. Particularly the technique used to measure the smoke temperature.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My MM 'mini cob' is 3 3/8". I've relieved and ported it to smoke better and it does. Great for a short trip to the store and back, about a mile down the road.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yikes some of those are too close for comfort for me. Its like there is no stem at all!

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too close to what for comfort? Do you often accidentally set your pipe on fire? People hold their pipes and never seem to lose fingers, so I'm not sure what the fear here is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. eddiegrob

eddiegrob

Login to Send PM

My Moonshine Devil Anse has to be the shortest pipe that I own, although the Stanwell Lightweight 199 billiard comes close.

"Americans are the people who describe their use of alcohol and tobacco as vices" G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  49. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

140mm (5.5") and that seems short to me. I wouldn't go much shorter and definitely not below 5"

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

A Jeantet Fleuron shape 76, 110 mm long. The Opera shaped bowl is 32 mm heigh

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

mindovermatter

Login to Send PM

Some good looking short pipes! I love short pipes and own a set very similar to this one, Still unsmoked:

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper