Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In short, it's a fantasy about a mute woman who falls in love with a magic sea creature about to be killed in a federal lab, which she eventually rescues. Pure fantasy and story book material, but done with intensity and emotion that transcended the genre, for me. A dark intensity throughout, and significant suspension of disbelief for all the magical aspects. Definitely worth seeing if you have any tolerance for fantasy film -- anxiety throughout. The villain is amazing, human and loathsome at once.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mso, just watched the trailer, looks cool. I like fantasy movies like that. The villain also played General Zod in the Man of Steel movie, he was great in that as well.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's my short review, published on another forum:
I recently saw The Shape Of Water, Guillermo Del Toro's dark fairy tale about the power of love to surmount all obstacles in a dystopian world filled with monsters. By turns giddy, silly, innocent, profoundly violent, despairing, perverse, and redemptive, it's one of the most unique and original films that Del Toro, and frankly anyone, has made. Not for kids, nor the squeamish. 5 out of 5.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It skirts several aspects that undo a movie for me ... some sentimental human relationships, huge demands for suspension of disbelief, and indulgent sweetness, and others. But somehow, the acting and scripting, direction and cinematography reach beyond any of that. It's moving without being cloying. And various images remain in mind, in their own right, beyond the narrative.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Guillermo del Toro is a phenomenal filmmaker. Pan's Labyrinth is still one of my favorites. I hope to see it this weekend.

In this age of adaptations, remakes or sequels, it is great to see an original film thrive. Glad you liked it, mso489. Good topic.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We haven't seen anything from Terry Gilliam in a few years, I enjoyed "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus".
Thanks @sable - your reviews are usually spot on for my enjoyment. I have a DVD-Screener tee'd up in my Plex folder. I'd heard equal reports of "great" and "stinks". So, I had been holding off but we'll proceed!

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Guillermo del Toro is a phenomenal filmmaker. Pan's Labyrinth is still one of my favorites.
I don't really fantasy films but that one was really rather beautiful.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To me del Toro is the equivalent in his films to Goya as an artist. There is a similar appreciation of beauty, horror, and violence, fantasy, and love, coupled with a disquieting view of society's golden calves. He can be a moralist, without stinking of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Having heroes in the film that are women on the janitorial crew really raises the bar, takes the working class hero concept to another place. The underwater domestic interior, the floating apartment as it were, really stays with you. The total story book or comic book narrative seems to have some undergirding reference to realism. I'm still ruminating the film and its imagery, whereas other films that have power fade more quickly, or have for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.