PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Denmark has introduced what is believed to be the world's first fat tax - a surcharge on foods that are high in saturated fat.
It's happening, make no mistake. The same measures are being drawn up in localities across the US, as well as for such dastardly agents as sugar, caffeine, and a host of other evils. Tobacco isn't alone in this fight; it's an all-encompassing tirade against choice and personal responsibility. That being said, there are no easy answers--the common rebuttal being that the taxation will defray the cost of public health care.

Except the 'public entire health care' industry is as broken as our trust in government.

In the latest issue of Archives of Internal Medicine there's a widely-touted study linking the effects of caffeine to depression in women. Plausible? Maybe...until you read the trial conditions, which surveyed 50,000 women over a ten-year period, found a ~2% concurrence of heightened incidence of depression, yet took no other contributing factors into account. None whatsoever--employment status, relationship status, diet, life changes...nothing. It's the same ad-hoc science that attributes 3,000,000 annual deaths to smoking.

I'm wondering what it will take, what the tipping point will be, for the whole system to come crashing down. Will it be enough people eschewing the purchase of goods from legitimate sources in favor of the black, grey and green markets? Will it be a barrage of civil lawsuits that will cripple industry? Or will it be passive resistance until enough anger and disenfranchisement gives way to violent rebuttal? What exactly would it take for a politician to exist who did not rely on craven pandering from the statisticians and benevolent contributors financiers of Government Incorporated? The course of history is much longer than a term in office, and the voice of the people is growing more disgruntled by the day.
Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I have been warning people for years that once you let the nannies get their feet in the door they will go after every single aspect of our lives. For years people just thought I was a kook, but now, slowly, some of them are starting to see that I was right all along.
Eventually they will tell us what to eat, what to drink, what kind of toothpaste to use, and what underwear we are dictated to wear. The sheeple of the world need to pull their collective heads out of their backsides and speak out in a loud, resounding NO! to the nannies.

samgam

Lurker
Oct 5, 2011
Yay for statistics that are technically true, but probably show no causation!

This is ridiculous. Taxing unhealthy things are not going to stop people from buying them. Especially (at least here in the USA) when there tends to be such a price difference between healthy and less healthy, that I doubt a higher tax will bridge the gap enough to where the poor (who are typically more likely to be obese) will stop buying the cheaper, less healthy foods.

However, people want money, and if they can make up a reason to get more, they'll jump on it in a second. *shrugs*

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Big Brother is definitely holding his hand out...but no, I can't spare a dime this time. Even beyond the obvious desperation that the current spate of laws is demonstrating with a beggary of taxations as a solution, it reeks of a deeper sentiment of avarice and experimentation with how far they can push it; that the population has never been more ripe for the picking. Just look at what's been done, what they've gotten away with. It's really mind-numbing.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I have been warning people for years that once you let the nannies get their feet in the door they will go after every single aspect of our lives. For years people just thought I was a kook, but now, slowly, some of them are starting to see that I was right all along.
Eventually they will tell us what to eat, what to drink, what kind of toothpaste to use, and what underwear we are dictated to wear. The sheeple of the world need to pull their collective heads out of their backsides and speak out in a loud, resounding NO! to the nannies.

Mason, I couldn't have said it better myself!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Mason is all over it....we are just starting to see some of the Sheeple get upset with the groups of people on Wall Street the past month, and the media ignored it as long as they could, but now it's starting to pick up some steam.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
This is just a way for the government to generate tax revenue: even if fatty foods are taxed people will still buy them, so lets not kid ourselves that this is a government who is trying to look after the health of its people. i think ultmately this tax will also fail for the reason that the cost of basic food stuffs (rice, pasta, bread, milk etc.) has risen so much in the past few years....people expect to pay more for everything now so what difference does a fat tax make.
It's a bit sad in some ways: Denmark has come top in a lot of polls recently to identify the happiest people in Europe....they have a laid back way of life, great standard of living and don't get too hung up on things that are supposedly bad for us like fatty food, smoking, drinking etc.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The US government has been trying to regulate common sense and reshape eating habits for several years now. It started in New York City, which quite frankly has been a mess. I'm in the quick service, er, ok, Fast food business so this effects my company. First if was no artificial trans fats, so we switched from vegetable oil to beef tallow. No artificial trans fats, but it is loaded with naturally occuring trans fats! A NYC health department official was going to shut us down because the box said "trans fats". I had to point out that the law forbid "artificial" trans fats only. She asked where I got this info. I replied from the book on the new laws the NYC health department sent us. Could I send her a copy? Sure, I could. What utter nonsense. The menuboards are littered with tiny calorie counts as well. Of course we sell combo meals that are available with a variety of sugar and diet drinks so there is a wide range printed (from about 600 to 2000!). It makes no sense and is pretty much illegible on the board. Of course we have a nicely arranged poster in the dining room to ID all caloric and nutritional information in an easy to read format, but that doesn't meet the requirement of the law. We see no change in the product purchasing since this law went into effect, but our products now have more fats. Thanks NYC lawmakers. Now, many other states have jumped on this bandwagon which only serves to make politicians appear they are helping the public.

Thankfully, a by-product of Obamas Health-care law has placed the regulation of this to the Federal government versus individual states and even counties. It is less stringent, so that has helped make the information to be more legible.

Politicians - fix the economy, roads, and the school systems - Let common sense dictate what we do else wise.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I think Ben said it best when it comes to legislation for the public good.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."

Ben Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.