PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, it finally happened. One of my pipes developed a crack in the shank. I've had the pipe for years and smoked it regularly, though not excessively. The crack appeared in the oddest place, not at the end, nor where the shank meets the bowl. A crack formed right where the name is stamped. I have no idea when this happened. I hadn't noticed anything when I last used the pipe, but when I took it from the drawer after not having touched it for a month, I noticed this tiny crack just below the makers' stamp, in the middle of the shank.

Merde. Not an expensive pipe, a Sasieni Mayfair, but an excellent smoker.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Sablebrush52,
I feel your pain. I don' recall the year, but it was many moons ago, I was at a football game and had a favorite pipe in my front pocket for a halftime smoke. At the half, I had my smoke and went to the concession stand to get a soft drink and some popcorn. For some unknown reason (okay, because I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed), I put the pipe in my back pocket while I carried the drink and popcorn back up to the stands. When I sat down... well, that's all she wrote. I still miss that pipe (Stanwell, shape 41).
Pipestud

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Jesse - there's a way to fix that: find a fishing rod making friend and ask him to wrap that section, preferably with silk. Once the windings are varnished, they turn transparent. With unwaxed white silk, they will be almost invisible, and you will be able to see the nomenclature and grain underneath.
hp

les

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I'd like to see a before and after if you did lestrout's idea. Sounds interesting. Even if it did show though it could add character.
As a continuation of it, my wife had a horse she had since twelve pass at thanksgiving and they took the hair and had it wrapped around a gold ring in a really beautiful and intricate pattern of his mane colors.
Good luck and best wishes.

Dec 24, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that Sable. I had a Radice where the stem just shattered. I was depressed. Strong alcohol and the love of a good woman carried me through those dark days and I do hope you find similar respite from your troubled times. I still cry over that Radice.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I knew Les had experience with broken shanks even though he denies it, with that blasted cleaning technique of his, the cat has left the bag now :rofl:

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
if you search the web you should find a site describing how to "whip " the end of a rope when made up of many strands - ie old rope before nylon existed.

it is a whipping feature used by sailors to end a piece of rope with loose strands at the end to very tightly bind them together with a special method which when finished the whip end is pulled tight whereby making the end of the rope unable to unravel. - it is very useful for what you need to do-then varnish the whipping -

Status
Not open for further replies.