PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A couple of years ago, some of you might remember, Stephen Downey, pipe maker par excellence, built for me a special pipe, made with my specifications, which was dubbed "The Vampire's Wand." The stummel was covered with little bats, my illustrator's trademark, actually drawn by me and tranfered to the stummel before sandblasting by a secret technique Stephen developed. Well, about a year ago, I started musing that this remarkable pipe needed a companion with some variations. So I bounced off the idea of a second Vampire's Wand, and forgetting the headaches the first one gave him, agreed to do it again. And a couple of days ago, Vampire Wand 2 appeared in my mailbox:
p1050982-600x383.jpg

p1050983-600x313.jpg

p1050989-600x351.jpg

This sister pipe has a longer shank and stem, a taller and larger chamber, a fitting companion to the original. Best of all, Stephen tells me the briar for this pipe was tougher than the first, making it necessary to stain it numeous times to get the right shade of black. Stephen Downey outdoes himself again!

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I love the bats. They make for a couple of very unique and cool pipes!

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Very nice pieces, the lot of them. I'm off to search Mr Downey's other work right now.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Is the tamper hawthorn and REALLY SHARPLY POINTY underneath the "brass-looking" part?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here are the two Wands together, with tamper, just to make everyone envious. I had forgotten we're a day away from October and then Halloween!

img_1408-600x528.jpg

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Nice looking pipes, but if I had to say I'm smoking a vampire's wand, I'd wait to hear chuckling every time. Cool idea tho. Downie is awesome.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Those are wonderful pipes. I have a couple of Downies and they are both unique designs and excellent smokers.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Really love the style of those pipes...they are fantastic. I just can't get my eyes off your lighter. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.