PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I had a pretty rough day yesterday and got about 2 hours of sleep last night and now I am up and will never be heading back to bed. In that case I figured I would set out some of my sample Sutliff No. 5 to dry for a bit while the kettle was getting my water for coffee ready. Once that was ready and I had my coffee in my French press extracting, I headed back into the room and loaded up my cob, love it with my Latakia blends! I'm cruising through the forums while out on the patio, drinking my coffee and enjoying my pipe, when I get caught up in a topic and my pipe goes out, no biggie. Just relight like usual, tastes the same, smokes the same.... But not this time!!
I was hit in the taste buds by this flavor that I only wish the whole bowl would taste like. Most of the time I can just go ahead and smoke a whole bowl through without a relight but from this experience I am almost tempted to let all of my bowls go out at least once halfway through to see if its the blend, the pipe, or even amount of ash. I usually dump ash but as it went out fairly quickly it didn't even get a chance to build up.
In short, relights may add to the enjoyment of your smoke... Don't sit there cupping the bowl puffing trying to bring life back into it. Unless your in a competition of course :puffy:
Well, thanks for reading my ode to relights and happy lunting!!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
This is interesting... lately I've been catching up on the PM Radio Show podcasts as well as the OOM Paul podcast. Last night I was listening to Brian Levine being interviewed on the OOM Paul podcast, and he mentioned that some days he loads up multiple pipes, packs 'em and then gives them each their initial light before extinguishing them and putting them all in his pipe bag for the day. He said that this rest between initial light and eventual re-light can be additive/positive to his smoking experience.
I'm sure that vagaries of tobacco type, blend, age, pipe, taste and expectation all play in here. But wonder whether this is similar to the flavour you experienced in your relight this morning Redbeard.
Looks like I'll have to start experimenting.
-- Pat

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I share this "ah ha" moment. Just recently as my pipe extinguished about halfway, rather than tamping and relighting I simply dug the top layer of ash out, and then relit. Definitely tasted less ashy and was easier to stay lit for the rest of the bowl.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Great forum with members willing to share tips. The more I read, the more I learn and enjoy my pipe smoking.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for reading, sometimes the delayed gratification likes to show its pretty little face. Very good idea about the prelight multiple pipes, I should listen to that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.