PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
As an Amazon Fire user, I frequently get to see movies that are not always mainstream Hollywood. Last night I watched The Red Baron Wiki - The Red Baron (2008 Film) and enjoyed the perspective offered on WWI's greatest ACE Pilot. As a kid, I loved reading about early flight and the entry of the plane into War. One of the things I felt this film got right was the comraderie among all pilots. In WWI, it was not uncommon for enemy pilots to pay respects for downed fliers. Many early pilots came from aristocracy and therefore knew one another.
Sadly though, I think the film over emphasized Royal Canadian Flyer, Roy Brown's relationship with Manfred von Richthoven. They had attended the same school (pre-war) but the likelihood of the movie events are low. Capt. Brown was originally credited with downing the German ACE, but it was later determined that ground troops were most likely the reason based on autopsy reports.
Of course, no film is without a love interest as a plot catalyst and this one isn't any different. The character is based on Richthoven's real girlfriend Kate Osterdorf, but their relationship was much more guarded than portrayed in the film.
Regardless, a pretty good film with interesting perspective. I thought it much better than Flyboys.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
War films are frequently heavy with romanticism. It just would not have been as dramatic if Richthoven had been killed by a stray bullet fired from the ground. I found enough truth in the movie to enjoy it.
There is a Nova documentary called, Who Killed The Red Baron?
They also did one called, The First Air War which is still on Netflix at the moment.
And, if you would like to try your hand flying a simulation of the planes of that period against pretty good AI or other humans, there is always, Rise of Flight

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Watched this couple months ago with my sons, who are at the age where anything "Army" is cool.. We all loved it, I would recommend.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Just finished watching this film at the second attempt, for me it rather dragged somewhat. I much prefer & recommend 'aces high' starring Malcolm McDowell & Simon ward. Much grittier & real I found, even withought the 'cgi' graphics.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Von Richthofen is buried in the city I live in and it is a peaceful and interesting walk to take with a pipe through that cemetery. I enjoyed the movie a lot also. It seems to have been filmed in both English and German with alternating takes. I've seen both versions and cannot notice any synchronization issues between the actors voices and their lips.

Status
Not open for further replies.