PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I've heard you guys say that rectangle tins should be opened and jarred as they don't seal as well. Is this true with every tobacco. S.G. Full Virginia Flake for example or F&T Cut Virginia Plug come in the rectangular tins. Do I need to open all of them and jar them? Would it be better to just age all together in jars? What do you guys think? What are you experiences? I've got about 30 tins of CVP for example should I open and jar them all? Thoughts?

Dec 24, 2012
I have heard the square and rectangle tins are a little less stable than the other types of tins, but as long as they are in a place with a stable temperature and out of the sunlight, the chances are that a high proportion of your tins would be just fine.
Personally, I leave my tobacco in the tins, but because I'm a tad anal, I also store all the square and rectangle tins in large air & water tight container - really, a back-up in case the seal on the tobacco fails.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think you are OK with the Gawith tins as they vacuum seal pretty good. I've never had an issue with them, the same with the F&T tins. The tins that have caused me the most problems are the ones for Penzance, those seem to just lose their seal on their own.
I recently popped the seal on a ten year old tin of St. James Flake and it was fine. I have a few others that have developed a slight surface rust but the seals are still tight. As long as you don't move the tins around a bunch I think you will be OK.
Peck's idea is a very good one as well. I used to do that with my bulk Esoterica.

Aug 1, 2012
I've only got one rectangle tin and that was for Butera Pelican and now that I've had it aging for about a year, and after reading this thread, I am a tiny bit worried.

Dec 24, 2012
Juts check the tins occasionally -- every 2-3 months is plenty. It's really easy to tell if the vacuum seal fails
I have between 2000 and 3000 tins - I would need to hire someone full time to check them.
Hence, I use my airtight containers, lol

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Stig,
I have some Pelican tins that are a dozen years old, the seals are all fine.
Peck, I would like to submit my resume for your full time position.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a 2001 rectangle F&T CVP left and the last one I cracked from that batch it was perfectly fine. As long as they are in a dark place with a no severe temperature changes, and they are not moved around, they should be fine for decades. Think about it for a minute, how would a vacuum sealed tin lose it's seal if those conditions applied, I don't care what shape it is, square, round, rectangle. Now the tins with the plastic tops from Pease and C&D and the like, I don't trust those at all. I will jar mine after 4 years or so. I had issues with 2002 tins from those guys.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I had a square tin of FVF unseal itself a few months ago. I had it in an airtight plastic bin (and it must have had a fairly high moisture level to begin with, which isn't surprising) no harm was done. It did make me more aware of the square tins, though, and I think Peck has the right idea.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have several rectangle tins and I haven't noticed any issue with them.
One problem I did notice a while back was I had a tin of SG 1792 Flake and when I opened it up the tin inside had signs of rust. The tobacco was pretty moist and didn't appear to be affected by the rust but I thought it was weird that their was rust on the inside. The tin was a gift so I'm not sure where it was stored or how long the other person had it. Has anyone else ever noticed rust on the inside of a tin before? I can't believe that the tobacco is that moist to cause that.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Like most of the replies here I never open the tins I am cellaring unless 1) I intend to smoke it, or 2) I have reason to suspect the seal.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That having been said, I had a tin of Wessex Burley Sliced that was dried out when I openned it. I had been traveling with it in my bag, but it would not have been unsealed long enough for it to dry out so completely. A week in a sealed jar with a button rehydrated it well enough, but I have become a bit wary when it comes to the square tins. I decided to take some advice I heard on the radio show and wrap my tins in Saran Wrap.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Roth wrote:

Just check the tins occasionally -- every 2-3 months is plenty. It's really easy to tell if the vacuum seal fails.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how do you check to see if the vacuum seal has failed?

Status
Not open for further replies.