PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I was wondering if a thread such as this could be useful. Here is how it goes: You name a blend you like and then someone can recommend another blend based on that.
For example: I like Petersons Irish Oak a lot...so based on that I also probably would like... ?
(Another one I can think of: If you like Mac Baren Vanilla Cream you would also like Lane 1Q - but I have never tried 1Q myself.)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Great idea for a thread Juni, in fact, superb idea!
If you like Frog Morton, you will probably also like Maltese Falcon. Both are smooth English style blends, but not too heavy on the Latakia if some aromatic guys want to try to crossover to English blends.
These were the two that got me to cross over.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
If you like Captain Earle's Honor Blend (a somewhat full-bodied VA/Per), you will also like Bennington's King William, and if you want to take it up a notch for a "don't smoke it unless you are sitting down" VA/Per, try C&D's Bayou Night.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
If you like Mac Baren's HH Acadian Perique, then you will probably also like McClelland's Blakeney’s Best Acadian Ribbon.
Both of these taste and smell like the Perique factory in LA.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I tried MacB's HH Acadian Perique, it wasn't to my tastes. What WAS to my taste was MacB's Black Ambrosia. I just ordered a tin of it, as well as some Frog Morton and Maltese Falcon from SP just the other day.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I just got an ounce of each of Just For Him's Middle Earth Pipeweed Series... and I have to say (only after a bowl of each) that none of seem to really stand out that much to me... kinda all bland except for Ruins of Isenguard... I really like it, the smell out of the bag is crazy though... very smoky like jerky or something which from what I know is probably latakia, but I don't know. I've never had anything with Latakia in it yet.
But anyway Ruins of Isenguard is really good but I'd prefer something very similar but stronger... Any suggestions?

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Any sweet VA? I'd recommend trying Orlik Golden Sliced. Heck, it's "Smoked by all shrewd judges." Anyhow, when I get a can, I open it, take a bowlful out and then close it for six months and leave it in my staging cabinet. Open after just a little aging and it seems to mellow this particular "High Grade Pipe Tobacco"...it's very smooth after aging just a short time.
Right now, it's my favorite nearly full VA tobaccos (reportedly, there is a little burly contained within the blend). It'll also seem a little strange in form with the ribbon like layering when you open the 100g tin, but once you figure how to rub it for your smoking style, you will not be sorry...this is the truth. If you like VA and you like sweet, try this tobacco, you will not be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.