The Real Popeye

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by Cosmic
  • Latest reply from crashthegrey
  1. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every now and then, I get sucked into internet click bait. But, this time it was rather interesting. Growing up, Popeye was one of my favorite cartoons, with Looney Tunes being a close second. So, when I saw the true man that inspired the cartoon, I was enthralled and had to do a little more research on this guy.

Frank “Rocky” Fiegel was the inspiration for the fictional character. A real life tough guy, who had strength beyond the impressions that you would get from seeing his scrawny self, and he was known to be an outstanding fist fighter. He had the prominent chin and the signature pipe always in clench. But, for the corncob gang, I couldn't find a single picture of him with a cob.

In watching some of my favorite Popeye flicks as an adult, I never noticed just how risqué it was for it's time. There was one scene where Popeye is walking up the steps of a castle and Olive Oyl is waving a handkerchief and yelling for help. Popeye is gruffing under his breath as he makes his way up the steps, and he gives his signature laugh, "Eh eh eh, Ooo I cant wait to get my hands on her... I never made love in technicolor before. Eh eh eh" But, it said so gruffly said that it flies right over children's heads.

There are other phrases he said, like, "Ohh, I stick it in her a'right, eh eh eh..." And, "Oooo, I'll do him up rough and then I'll do me Oyl rough next, eh eh eh." There are also scenes embedded into the cartoon, like brief frames of exposed breasts, and brief shots of calendars on the walls with naked women on them. The cartoonists obviously had a lot of fun making these. So many times, I just couldn't make out exactly what he says, so there may even be more filth in the cartoons, but they had to get creative to get them past the network censors. But, mostly I think Popeye was seen played before movies would start in the theaters. Or, at least that is where I remember seeing most of the episodes that I've seen. I don't really remember Popeye being a Saturday morning thing. I also remember the Popeye cartoons coming on early in the mornings, before school.

Oh Saturday morning cartoons. Damn cable for making Saturday morning cartoons so much less exciting these days.

And, hats off to the original tough guy, Frank “Rocky” Fiegel, for inspiring a cartoon to inspire a generation.

Popeye the sailor man
    He lives in a garbage can
    He eats all the worms
    And spits out the germs
    He's...

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's pretty cool. Yes, I'm sure a lot was snuck into shows like that a single frame at a time.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Michael: Thanks for that! Wonderful!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  4. civilwar

civilwar

Login to Send PM

Wow, thanks for sharing.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

Great read! Fascinating!

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of these old folks, men and women, survived what few could. I never tired of Popeye cartoons, always the same plot, the same can of spinach, with the star landing on his feet.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. ken56

ken56

Login to Send PM

I always thought Popeye was a total creation of a cartoonist! Thanks for sharing.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. elvergun

elvergun

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting.

I loved the cartoons.

I also loved the comic books they sold in Italy when I was a kid.

Braccio di Ferro

In Italy he is known as Braccio di Ferro (Arm of Steel...meh, sounds better in Italian).

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That made my day!

Neal
    Posted 1 week ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

Great info thanks for sharing.

On yonder hill there stands a cow,
    It must have moved it's not there now!!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent article, Michael. Thanks. Got me singing the song!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  12. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

I've always loved the sotto-voice asides Popeye would spew between lines with the other characters. Like the "I can read writin', but this writin's rotten" line over the menu in gibberish from the ali-baba episode.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+10 for the ise of “sotto-voice.” That was exactly the word I was looking for.

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. writingraav

writingraav

Login to Send PM

I read that someone i he has lost his pipe in the bringing Popeye back with new material. The pictures I've seen suggest that he has lost his pipe in the new version. Shameful!

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

Thanx for the post, Popeye was a fave of mine, what fun

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

"Well, blow me down"!

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  17. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

Wonderful !

Thanks for posting this. I was a fan as a kid, haven’t seen the cartoon in years. Now I’m curious to look at them again, through adult eyes.

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

An Anime website has 49 Popeye cartoons

Anilinkz

Also on a website called WatchDub there are 37 of the cartoons, plus links to another 5 they are calling "movies."

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

Interesting and fun post. I grew up watching Popeye cartoons. Thanks for posting.

edit- Never cared for the Popeye movie with Robin Williams.

scott
    Posted 1 week ago #
  20. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

I found a third website which claims to have 112 Popeye toons, but no mater which one you click through, there's a message that it has been removed to please Warner Brothers.

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The best stuff is always based on or is the truth, and Popeye is one of the best. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I'm no doctor, but I know when I'm loosin' my patience!" - Popeye The Sailor

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 5 days ago #
  23. datascalabash

datascalabash

Login to Send PM

Just a quick comparison here...if one comnpared the image of Mr. Fiegel as the "originator" of Popeye's signature looks...with what we saw from 1980 onwards, concerning a beloved 20th century comedian we lost not very long ago, doing the same character as Mr. Fiegel inspired...

...could one say that...with a REAL cob in place of Mr. Fiegel's "likely-briar"...that Robin Williams' portrayal of Popeye, complete with the voicing and everything (not to mention Ray Walston's "Poopdeck Pappy", seen below at left with Williams' Popeye)...

...just "add" to the appeal of either OR both portrayals?

The 1980 "Popeye" motion picture musical by Robert Altman is simply a wonderfully quirky film, and gets a good bit across of what was intended by Elzie Segar's comic strip to begin with!

Posted 4 days ago #
  24. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love that Popeye was based on a real person. I feel like it really adds to the spirit of the cartoons.

Posted 4 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   donjgiles, ashdigger, mechanic, buckaroo, chasingembers, cranseiron, ron123, zitotczito, blackadderlxx, hoosierpipeguy